New teacher workload review panel to be led by IOE academic
14 May 2018
UCL Institute of Education (IOE) academic Professor Becky Allen has been appointed chair of a new panel set up by the government to examine ways to reduce teacher workload.
The panel will explore how ed tech can reduce teacher workload, and examine what progress has been made following previous reviews.
Education secretary Damian Hinds has previously emphasised the need to allow teachers to "focus on what actually matters".
The group has been asked to look at issues related to school data collection and management.
In particular, it will study how recording of pupil attainment is used beyond the classroom to manage school, teacher and pupil performance. The panel will also look at how schools gather evidence for external bodies, such as Ofsted.
The group will also examine progress following the recommendations of three previous workload review groups, consider how education technology can be used to eliminate unnecessary workload, and look at how the Ofsted framework could help eliminate unnecessary workload creating evidence for inspections.
The panel is made up of academics, teachers and school leaders, as well as Ofsted and education union representatives.
The panel comprises:
- Professor Becky Allen, director, Centre for Education Improvement Science, UCL Institute of Education
- Sean Harford, national director of education, Ofsted
- Professor Rob Coe, director, Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Durham University
- Janine Ashman, deputy head, St Peter's Church of England Primary School, Portishead
- Ben White, teacher and director of curriculum, Highworth Grammar School, Kent
- Jo Facer, vice-principal, The Ebbsfleet Academy, Kent
- Joanne Roscow, assistant head and Sendco, Birchwood Community High School, Warrington
- Michelle Thomas, executive headteacher, New Wave Federation, London
- Rose Murphy, teacher and phase leader, St George's Roman Catholic Primary School
- Adrian Prandle, director of Economic Strategy and Negotiations, NEU teaching union
- Darren Northcott, national official, NASUWT teaching union
- Nick Brook, deputy general secretary, NAHT heads' union
- Geoff Barton, general secretary, Association of School and College Leaders
- View Professor Becky Allen's research profile
- IOE appoints Director for new Centre for Education Improvement Science
- Workload advisory group: terms of reference
- Department for Education