Education for offenders - aspirational and engaging education for all
Start: Jul 08, 2016 09:30 AM
Location: Elvin Hall, UCL Institute of Education, 20 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AL
CECJS annual international conference
Supported by Sir John Cass’s Foundation
Our annual international conference was held this year on 8 July and sponsored by the Sir John Cass’s Foundation.
We had an exciting array of speakers, including Nick Hardwick (Royal Holloway), Annet Bakker (European Prison education Association), David Lammy MP, Cormac Behan (Sheffield University), Alan Smith (writer) and David McGuire.
Proceedings were opened by Becky Francis, UCL Institute of education’s new Director and Helen Meixner from the Sir John Cass’s Foundation.
Video of conference introductions and main speakers:
Presentations from main speakers:
- Annet Bakker: The Added Value of an International Network
- David Maguire: Old School(ed) Masculinities: Classed and gendered trajectories to ‘revolving door’ imprisonment (pdf, 0.31mb)
There were also ten workshops held during the day:
- The Citizen’s Curriculum (pdf, 1.2mb) - Alex Stevenson (Learning and Work Institute)
- Training and manufacture at Holloway (pdf, 0.9mb) - Claire Swift (London College of Fashion)
- CPD for prisons - Jane Hurry and Lynne Rogers (CECJS)
- The Prison Community Justice programme - Carol Davis (Sue Ryder)
- Youth Justice academic symposium (pdf, 1.2mb) - Olga Solomontos Kountouri, Teresa Larkin and Jennifer Newton
- Learner Involvement and the Disaffected Learner: A Constructivist Approach (pdf, 115kb) - Teresa Larkin
- A Theory of Change (pdf, 1mb) - Nina Champion (Prisoners Learning Alliance)
- Art, Creativity and the road to rehabilitation - Clare Brunner and Ruth Williams (Watts Gallery)
- An assessment of the English and maths skills levels of prisoners in England (pdf, 0.42mb) - Brian Creese (CECJS)
- Transforming Rehabilitation - Alex Arblaster (Ingeus)
- Film making form scratch: an insight into the life experiences of people who have offended - Maria Karazanou and John Vorhaus.
For further details, please email Brian Creese: email@example.com.