Radical and inspiring ideas for alternative education futures.
Before COVID-19 arrived we were about to focus our What if…? debates series on the issues of school improvement, exclusion and play. The COVID-19 pandemic and national lockdown meant that we put those plans on hold, to take a broad look at the impact of the pandemic on our education system.
Now, we’re re-convening our panels of leading commentators to look afresh at these topics under new circumstances.
The need to look beyond the status quo in how we support schools, improve the lot for pupils at risk of exclusion and give due recognition to play within our education system remains as pressing as ever, in many respects more so.
Join us in the debate and let your opinion be heard.
We will be live streaming these events. The recordings will be available on our website in both video and podcast format following the events.
- What if… we wanted to better equip young people to address climate change?
- What if… we wanted to overcome COVID-19’s impact on girls’ access to education?
- What if… we wanted all children to read for pleasure?
- What if… we took play more seriously in the schools system?
- What if… we wanted more effective school improvement?
- What if... our education system changed for good in light of COVID-19?
- Part 1: Schools
- Part 2: Further Education
- Part 3: Higher Education
- What if… the world really did revolve around teenagers?
- What if… education policy was shaped by a commitment to social justice?
- What if… we wanted a world-leading early years sector?
- What if… we really wanted to diversify access to our universities?
- What if… we struck a different balance between school autonomy and regulation?
- What if… our main objective in education was to build wisdom?
- What if... we re-designed our school testing and assessment system from scratch?
- What if... we wanted our kids to be happier?
- What if... we wanted all kids to love maths?
- What if… we were able to say more about how the brain learns?
- What if… we thought anew about how we support special educational needs and disability in our schools?
- What if… we really wanted to prepare young people for the age of artificial intelligence?
- What if... we really wanted to support schools facing the greatest challenge?
- What if... we really wanted evidence-informed practice in the classroom?
- What if... we really wanted to transform teaching as a career choice?
- What if... we really wanted to overcome the academic-vocational divide?
- What if... we really wanted to further social mobility through education?
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Map and directions
- Debate topics on the IOE Blog
- Find out more about our speakers