Developing Middle Leaders
9:00 am, 25 September 2019 to 4:00 pm, 12 March 2020
A professional leadership development programme for experienced middle leaders.
Maggie Woods020 7612 6616
UCL Institute of Education20 Bedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
If you are a current middle leader responsible for leading a team of staff with some experience of the role - then this is the programme for you. Supported by the latest research, this innovative programme looks at the psychology of leadership. It will help you develop your confidence and leadership skills and enable you to improve your ability to lead and manage change.
The programme will help you to:
- deepen your understanding of your role in leading learning
- increase your ability to lead, manage and develop people in your team
- develop your confidence in having difficult conversations
- plan for your own personal leadership development.
Who can apply?
This programme is for you if you are currently a middle leader with some experience of the role. You will be responsible for leading/managing a team of staff e.g. heads of subject, year, faculty, house or cross curricular teams in any phase. Also suitable for professional support staff who have been leading a team of administrators or teaching assistants for a minimum of two years.
Participants must attend all face-to-face sessions and undertake inter-sessional tasks to complete the programme. The programme finishes with a learning conversation and celebration twilight when you will present and discuss your action research with a small group.
- Day 1: Where are you now?
- Your leadership values
- Differences between leadership and management
- Implications of leadership styles
- How motivation affects leadership
- Making judgements
- Personal organisation
- Day 2: Where would you like to be?
- Motivations of self and others
- Emotional intelligence
- Change management
- Overcoming barriers to change
- Leading challenging conversations
- Practising coaching skills.
- Day 3: How will you get there?
- High performing teams
- Stages of team development
- Applying trust to delegation
- Reflecting on the performance of your team
- Plan future development pathways.
- Final twilight
- Present action research
- Learning conversation.
- Inter-sessional tasks
Inter-sessional tasks will be undertaken between the leadership days including the completion of an online diagnostic between days one and two. Leaders will carry out action research within their team.
Fees for 2019/20
£600 for the six month professional programme which includes three face-to-face leadership days and a final twilight session at the UCL Institute of Education.
Session dates for the next cohort:
- Day one 25 September 2019
- Day two 13 November 2019
- Day three 16 January 2020
- Final twilight 12 March 2020
The whole programme was extremely relevant for my leadership role. I have gained skills and knowledge which will help me enormously.The wh
Excellent communication and facilitating, extremely informative, engaging and thought provoking.Exce
I am really inspired - this programme has helped me to make positive changes to my leadership.