CLEAPSS An Introduction to Preparing Solutions & Apparatus Safely for Technicians
9:00 am to 4:00 pm, 01 May 2019
This course is particularly suitable for new and/or inexperienced technicians. It will introduce the basic skills needed to work safely and effectively in the prep room.
Short Courses020 7612 6325
Room: TBCUCL Institute of Education20 Bedford WayLondonWC1H 0ALUnited Kingdom
This course is now fully booked.
You'll learn the basic skills needed to work safely and effectively in the preparation room. You'll be introduced to health and safety requirements including clarifying the need for control measures to manage risks. You'll also get an overview of available resources and support.
Who this course is for
The course is particularly suitable for new and/or inexperienced secondary science technicians in schools.
The course covers:
- introduction to CLEAPSS and keeping up to date
- the need for control measures
- recipe sheets (what, why and how)
- getting the right chemical - reading the label and knowing when to ask for help
- making solutions: choosing the right equipment, basic techniques and simple adaptations to recipes
- supporting class activities: identifying equipment, setting out, delivering, retrieving and clearing up
- setting up equipment for a demonstration
- simple glasswork.
Teaching and structure
The one-day course is delivered as a practical workshop.
You'll need to be a science technician in your school.
By the end of the course, you'll have:
- developed expertise in choosing equipment, setting up and using it
- developed your skills in supporting class activities
- enhanced your skills in simple glasswork.
£165 for CLEAPSS members.
How to book
You can book online using a credit card by clicking on the link(s) below.
If you wish to pay by invoice and the invoice to be issued to your school, you should send your full details together with a purchase order number and the contact details of your finance department (email address) to: email@example.com
The Consortium of Local Education Authorities for the Provision of Science Services (CLEAPSS) has a membership of more than 28,000 schools and colleges, mainly in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, where its advice is recognised by HSE, DFE and OFSTED as representing best practice in these areas. As such, it's used by employers as the basis for them to discharge their responsibilities under the H&S at work act, 1999.