IOE Confucius Institute for Schools
Supporting the teaching and learning of Mandarin Chinese and the study of China across other areas of the curriculum.
The IOE Confucius Institute for Schools (IOE CI) supports schools in
starting and developing the teaching and learning of Mandarin Chinese
and the study of China across other areas of the curriculum.
- Support the mainstreaming of Chinese teaching across schools in England, acting as a central point for queries and advice, by phone and through its e-forum (see below) and organising an annual conference for teachers of Chinese
- Develop and promote teaching materials suitable for use in English schools
- Train local teachers of Chinese
- Train teachers sent from China to support development work in schools new to Chinese
- Advance research on the learning of Chinese as a foreign language at school level, providing a secure basis for future thinking and developments in the field
- Support the development of appropriate accreditation – both with English Examination Boards and using YCT/HSK proficiency tests
- to encourage IOE Confucius Classrooms to hold a range of appropriate cultural activities
- Support the development of teaching about China in schools
- Work with Chinese and English partner schools on bilateral programmes at teacher and student level
- Organise annual student language learning visits to China to enhance language acquisition.
- Our staff
IOE Confucius Institute Director
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0) 20 7612 6663
IOE Confucius Institute Team
Matthew Schofield, General Manager
email@example.com, +44 (0) 20 7612 6692
Xiaoming Zhu, National Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0) 20 7612 6558
Philippa Vallely, Teacher Training Co-ordinator
email@example.com, +44 (0) 20 7911 5587
James Trapp, Primary Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0) 20 7612 6785
Nicola Larkin, Project Officer
email@example.com, +44 (0) 20 7616 6684
Naomi Li, Project Officer
firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0) 20 7612 6697
Eleanor Stuart, Project Officer
email@example.com, +44 (0) 20 7612 6021
Find more about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes: UCL Research Portal, IRIS
Schools across the country are increasingly offering Mandarin Chinese as an option for their students.
The IOE CI is a bilateral project with Peking University and Peking University High School and supported by the Office of Chinese Language Council International, Hanban.
As well as a small team of specialists in London, the IOE CI has a network of 37 Confucius Classrooms across England, schools which have both Chinese firmly embedded in their own curriculum and which give advice, support and taster classes to other schools in their region looking to start offering Chinese.
- to work to secure a major expansion in the teaching and learning of Mandarin Chinese throughout the English school system
- to work to secure a major expansion in teaching and learning about China throughout the English school system
- to enable Chinese and English schools to have constructive and successful school partnerships and for teachers and learners in the school systems in both countries to learn from each other.
Published: Mar 8, 2017 9:21:00 AM
Published: Feb 27, 2017 3:28:51 PM