DERC founded the International Journal of Development Education and Global Learning in 2008. Clare Bentall is the Editor of IJDEGL and it is published by IOE Press. For further information go to the IJDEGL website:
DERC research paper series
- Alcock, H. L. and L. Ramirez Barker (2016) Can global learning raise standards within pupils’ writing in the primary phase? DERC Research Paper no. 16 for the GLP. London: UCL Institute of Education
- Hunt, F. and O. Cara (2015) Global Learning in England: Baseline analysis of the Global Learning Programme Whole School Audit 2013–14. DERC Research Paper no. 15 for the GLP. London: UCL Institute of Education
- Brown, K. (2015) Young people's understandings of global poverty. DERC Research Paper no. 14 for the GLP. London: UCL Institute of Education
- Hunt, F. and King, R. P. (2015) Supporting whole school approaches to global learning: focusing learning and mapping impact. DERC Research Paper No. 13 for the GLP. London: IOE.
- Bourn, D. (2014) School Linking and Global Learning - Teachers' Reflections. DERC Research Paper No. 12, London: IOE.
- Bourn, D. (2014) The Theory and Practice of Global Learning. DERC Research Paper No. 11 for the GLP. London: IOE.
- Bourn, D. and Cara, O. (2013) School Linking - Where Next? Partnership Models between Schools in Europe and Africa. DERC Research Paper No. 10, London: IOE.
- Hunt, F. (2012) Global Learning in Primary Schools in England: Practices and Impacts. DERC Research Paper No. 9, London: IOE.
- Leonard, A. (2012) The 'Aston-Makunduchi partnership': South-North School Link - In-depth Case Study. DERC Research Paper No. 8, London: IOE.
- Miller, G., Bowes, E., Bourn, D. and Castro, J. M. (2012) Learning about Development at A-Level. DERC Research Paper No. 7, London: IOE.
- Bourn, D. and Bain, M. (2012) International School Partnerships: Contribution to Improving Quality of Education for Rural Schools in Uganda. DERC Research Paper No. 6, London: IOE.
- Bourn, D. and Cara, O. (2012) Evaluating Partners in Development: Contribution of International School Partnerships to Education and Development. DERC Research Paper No. 5, London: IOE
- Bourn, D. (2012) Global Learning and Subject Knowledge. DERC Research Paper No. 4, London: IOE.
- Lambert, D. and J. Morgan (2011) Geography and Development: Development education in schools and the part played by geography teachers. DERC Research Paper No. 3, London: IOE.
- Bourn, D. and K. Brown (2011) Young People and International Development: Engagement and Learning. DERC Research Paper No. 2, London: IOE.
- Bourn, D. and F. Hunt (2011) Global Dimension in Secondary Schools. DERC Research Paper No. 1, London: IOE.
DERC authored research reports and journal articles
- Bourn, D. (2017) Putting the voice of young people at the heart of global citizenship education. European Commission Erasmus+ Schools for Future Youth Project
- Bourn, D., Hunt, F., Blum, N. and H. Lawson (2016) Education for Global Learning and Sustainability. CPRT Research Survey no. 5 (new series). York: Cambridge Primary Review Trust.
- Bourn, D. (2016) Global Citizenship and Youth Participation in Europe. SFYouth project. London: Oxfam GB and UCL Institute of Education.
- Blum, N. (2015). Topic Guide: Education, Climate and Environment. Evidence on Demand. London: UK Department for International Development.
- Murdan, S., Blum, N., Francis, S. A., Slater, E., Alem, N., Munday, M., Taylor, J. and Smith, F. (2015). Global health learning outcomes for pharmacy students in the UK. Pharmacy Education, 15 (1), 189-192.
- Warwick, I., Costa, F., & Bourn, D. (2015). Makutano Junction Project – Research Evaluation Report. London: UCL Institute of Education.
- Murdan, S., Blum, N., Francis, S., Slater, E., Alem, N., Munday, M., Taylor, J. and Smith, F. (2014) The Global Pharmacist. London: UCL School of Pharmacy and the Development Education Research Centre, Institute of Education, University of London.
- Bentall, C., Bourn, D., McGough, H. & Spours, K. (2014) 'Global Learning for Global Colleges: creating opportunities for greater access to international learning for 16-25 year olds', Journal of Further and Higher Education.
- Bentall, C. and McGough, H. (2013) 'Young people's personal engagement with global learning in Further Education', International Journal of Development Education and Global Learning.
- Skinner, A., Blum, N. & Bourn, D. (2013) 'Development Education and Education in International Development Policy: Raising Quality through Critical Pedagogy and Global Skills', International Development Policy.
- Blum, N. and Bourn, D. (2013) Gyaan Yatra - Final Evaluation. Asian Foundation for Philanthropy.
- Blum, N. & Bourn, D. (2013) 'Global perspectives for global professionals in the UK: engaging students within engineering and health'. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, vol.43 (1), pp37-55.
- Willott, C., Blum, N., Burch, W., Page, B. and Rowson, M. (2012) The Global Doctor. London: UCL Institute for Global Health and the Development Education Research Centre, Institute of Education, University of London.
- Maud, J., Blum, N., Short, N. and Goode, N. (2012) Veterinary Students as Global Citizens: Exploring opportunities for embedding the global dimension in undergraduate veterinary education. London: Royal Veterinary College and Development Education Research Centre, Institute of Education.
- McGough, H. and Hunt, F. (2012) The Global Dimension: A Practical Handbook for Teacher Educators. DERC. London: IOE.
- Bentall, C. (2012). The Naitika Project: Final Project Evaluation. Evaluation of DFID DAF project for Asian youth. Asian Foundation for Philanthropy.
- Hunt, F., Li Ting Chung, H., Rogers, M. with S. Inman (2011) Taking Stock: A report from the UK Teacher Education Network for sustainable development (ESD) /global citizenship (GC) - survey on provision for ESD/GC in initial teacher education in the UK. London: London South Bank University.
- Bourn, D., Blum, N. and Bentall, C. (2010) Learning and skills for a global economy: the response of further education college and other training providers to the challenges of globalisation, LSIS Research Report, Coventry: LSIS.
- Bentall, C; Bourn, D; Blum, N; (2010) Returned Volunteers and Engagement with Development: Final Report for VSO Longitudinal study. Development Education Research Centre, Institute of Education, University College London: London, UK
DERC Books and book chapters
- Bourn, D; (2014) The Theory and Practice of Development Education: A pedagogy for global social justice. Routledge: Abingdon, UK.
- Blum, N. (2012). Education, community engagement and sustainable development: negotiating environmental knowledge in Monteverde, Costa Rica. Dordrecht: Springer
DERC supported research
- Margaret Lewis (2016) A study of a focused, critical approach to pupils' images and perceptions of Africa. GLP Innovation Fund Research Paper no. 3
- Simpson, J. (2016) A study to investigate, explore and identify successful ‘interventions’ to support teachers in a transformative move from a charity mentality to a social justice mentality. GLP Innovation Fund Paper no. 2. London: GLP.
- Heuberger, M. (2014) ‘Worldmindedness’ and Development Education: A Teacher Voice. GLP Innovation Fund Paper no. 1, London: GLP.
- Pasha, A. (2014) Global Citizenship in Pakistan: A Brief
- Trewby, J. (2012) 'What is the UK Global Justice Movement and how do individuals engage with it?'
Development Education Digest
DERC Presentations and conference papers
Global Learning in Schools Conference Papers, May 2014
- Doug Bourn, DERC 'Pedagogy of Global Learning'
- Keynote: Professor Dr Annette Scheunpflug, Bamberg University 'How to get knowledge into competences? - Challenges for Global Learning in Schools'
- Stephen Hull, British Council 'Global Learning and British Council Connecting Classrooms'
- Frances Hunt, DERC 'Research in Global Learning'
- Richard Borowski, Leeds University Centre for African Studies 'Using International Students as a Global Learning Resource in the Primary Classroom'
- Flick Dunkley, Philosophy for Children (P4C) Handout 1 | Handout 2 | Handout 3 | Handout 4
- Egan, D. (2011) 'Understanding the role of Global Corporations: The Contribution of Development Education'
- Bourn, D. (2011) 'Development Education: Where does it come from and what does it look like' (Video)
Listen to some of our seminars and learn more about our work: