Supporting Spoken Language in the Classroom (SSLiC) is a knowledge exchange (KE) programme that ultimately aims to improve communication and learning outcomes for all children. It seeks to achieve this aim by bringing together research and practitioner expertise to:
- Develop a systematic whole school approach to language awareness, use and support
- Conduct a self-assessment audit of whole school practices in relation to supporting language-use
- Equip classroom teachers’ with the skills in the identification of language-use needs through the use of an evidence-based communication supporting classroom observation tool
- Implement creative ideas to sustain and support whole school change
- Who is SSLiC for?
The programme is for a team of three staff members from Primary committed to supporting a focus on whole school language, consisting of:
- Headteacher/member of senior leadership team
- Early Years Lead, SENCO, Inclusion Manager, Governor, School Counsellor
- Early Years Classroom teacher
- Programme structures and costs
Full UCL Centre for Inclusive Education (CIE) Facilitated KE programme for cohort of 10 schools
Following an introduction to research, materials, audit and theory of change, CIE provides experts to facilitate this programme. In addition to face-to-face support, CIE facilitators provide school support in the development of their action plans and advise on initiating, managing, sustaining and supporting whole school change.
Cost: £24,000 for up to 10 schools
Host Facilitated KE programme for cohort of 10 schools
Following an introduction to research, materials, audit and theory of change, the host organisation provides support to facilitate this programme. In addition to face-to-face support, host facilitators provide school support in the development of their action plans and advise on initiating, managing, sustaining and supporting whole school change.
Cost: £7,000 for up to 10 schools
Leadership model KE programme for cohort of up to 20 schools
At the host venue we will introduce the research, materials, audit and theory of change. In addition CIE will provide school support in the development of their action plans and advise on initiating, managing, sustaining and supporting whole school change.
Estimated cost: £5,000 for up to 20 schools
Individual school bespoke support (only available with programme C)
CIE expert facilitator conducts school assessment visit to discuss audit and action plan; ongoing phone/online support from visiting facilitator; facilitator writes up co-branded school case study.
Cost: £2,000 addition per school
For more information email Gill Brackenbury: email@example.com
- What resources will schools receive?
- An updated handbook covering the evidence-base, based on a published literature review, including a theory of change model and outline of the SSLiC programme
- An audit based on 5 domains, derived from the evidence base
- Case studies from schools involved in the SSLiC Pilot project
- Other resources as required, depending on the school’s chosen focus
- Their own case study, written up and co-branded by UCL (depending on programme selected)
- What people say about the programme
“This has been one of the most useful and interesting programmes I've been involved in because it is so practical and heading towards great impact
“As a SALT I am enthusiastic about SSLiC increasing school staff knowledge and prioritisation of oral language in the classroom
“Individual thanks to our facilitator who was incredibly encouraging and supportive
- Case studies
Report describing the activities, outcomes and learning from 9 schools across London and the south east who participated in the SSLiC programme across the 2017-18 academic year:
For more information and enquiries please contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org