- INST0076 Global Digital Humanities
- INST0006 Introduction to Digital Methods
- INST0080 Digital Industry: Culture and Innovation
- INST0013 Digital Resources in the Humanities
My research focuses on the links between social and digital inequalities; power and data; and algorithmic cultural developments. In my work I examine the integration of technology into our lives by exploring the socio-cultural opportunities of data while conveying their humanities challenges.
My current research agenda explores the role of digital data and artificial intelligence in society as seen through the use and development of participatory digital methods and inclusive data governance frameworks:
- Since 2019, I have been co-building the research and impact profile of Media What, an NGO committed to promoting media education through participatory media production activities that empower community voices and enhance media literacy and critical thinking.
- In 2020 I was awarded the European Charlemagne Fellowship for my project titled Toward Solidary European Data Spaces which investigated how solidarity-based approaches can create better data policy frameworks and infrastructure for the newly deployed Common European Data Spaces and the role of data literacy.
- For my AHRC funded Fellowship in Digital Humanities between 2016-19, I designed creative digital methods and worked with marginalised Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic youth in London to explore their use of technology and digital media.
- I was the Director for the Centre for Digital Culture at King’s College London between 2021-2023.
- I am an Associate Editor for the open-access peer-reviewed academic journal Digital Culture & Education.
- I have also sat on the Advisory Committee for “CYberSafety” in Cyprus, which aimed to develop the National Strategy for a Better Internet.
UCL extension: 55593
Direct line: 02031085593 (non-UK: +442031085593)
Office: Room G30, Foster Court
Dr Photini Vrikki
Department of Information Studies
University College London
London WC1E 6BT
Publications in peer-reviewed journals
Vrikki, P. & Lekakis, E., (2023) Digital Consumers and Platform Workers Unite and Fight? #cancel_efood and the Platformisation of Consumer Activism. Marketing Theory.
Riesch, H., Vrikki, P., Stephens, N., Lewis, J., Martin, O., (2021) “A moment of science, please”: Activism, Community and Humour at the March for Science. Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society.
Stephens, N., Vrikki, P., Riesch, H., Lewis, J., Martin, O. (2021) Protesting populist knowledge practices: Collective effervescence at the March for Science London. Cultural Sociology.
Vrikki, P. & Malik, S. (2019) Voicing Lived-experience and Anti-racism: Podcasting as a space at the margins for subaltern counterpublics, Popular Communication.
Publications in edited books
Bunz, M. & Vrikki, P., (2022) From big to democratic data: Why the rise of AI needs data solidarity, IN Filimowicz, M. (ed.) Democratic Frontiers: Algorithms and Society. London: Routledge.
Vrikki, P. (2020) #PeoplesVoteMarch or #LosersVoteMarch? Tracing the collective identity of a post- Brexit referendum movement on Twitter, IN Rosenbaum, J. E. & Bouvier, G. (ed.) #TalkingPoints: Twitter, the public sphere, and the nature of online deliberation. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
Vrikki, P. (2020) Twitter as a Space of Resistance to Brexit: Stories of belonging and the concept of ‘affective citizenship. IN Finchett-Maddock L. & Lekakis, E. (eds.) Art, Law, Power: Perspectives on Legality and Resistance in Contemporary Aesthetics. Oxford: Counterpress.
Vrikki, P, Malik, S. & Jaganathan, S. (2020) Creative Anti-Racisms: Screen and Digital Labour as Resistance IN Malik, S. (ed.) Creative Interruptions: Creativity and Resistance in a Hostile World. Manchester: Manchester University Press
Vrikki, P. (2018) The Beginning of the End: Telling the story of Occupy Wall Street’s eviction on Twitter. pp.76-93. IN Adi A. (ed.) Protest Public Relations: Communicating Dissent and Activism. London: Routledge.
Policy Reports & Online
Vrikki, P., (2021) SoCEDS: Solidarity-based approaches for the creation of Common European Data Spaces, 20 March 2021, Charlemagne Prize. Access: <https://www.charlemagneprizeacademy.com/en/publications/article-solidarity-based-approaches-for-the-creation-of-common-european-data-spaces>
Malik, S., Demetriou, P. and Vrikki, P. ‘Arts and Resistance in a Hostile World’, Race Matters, The Runnymede Trust, 7 February 2019. Access: <https://www.runnymedetrust.org/blog/creative-interruptions-arts-and-resistance-in-a-hostile-worldhttp://mediastandardstrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Election_Unspun_July_2015.pdf>
Alevizou, G. and Vrikki, P. ‘One day without us: mining Twitter, framing solidarity’, openDemocracy, 16 February 2018. Access: <https://www.opendemocracy.net/movingworld/giota-alevizou-photini-vrikki/...
Election Unspun: Political parties, the press, and Twitter during the 2015 UK election campaign, Media Standard’s Trust, July 2015. Access: <http://mediastandardstrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Election_Unspun_July_2015.pdf>