Recent & Forthcoming
Duff, W., Wallace, D., Short, R., & Flinn, A. (eds.) (forthcoming 2020) Archives, Record-keeping and Social Justice, Routledge
Bastian, J., Flinn, A. (eds.) (2019) Community Archives, Community Spaces: heritage, memory and identity , 2nd edition, Facet
Flinn, A. & Sexton, A. (2019) ‘Activist participatory communities in archival contexts: Theoretical Perspectives’. In E. Benoit III & A. Eveleigh (Eds.). Participatory Archives: theory and practice. London: Facet Publishing.
Flinn, A. (2019). ‘Healing discourses: Community-based approaches to archiving and recordkeeping’, in Nesmith, Bak and Schwartz “All Shook Up": The Archival Legacy of Terry Cook. SAA
Hoyle, V., Shepherd, E., Flinn, A., Lomas, E. (2019), ‘Child social care recording and the information rights of care-experienced people: A recordkeeping perspective’. British Journal of Social Work
Shepherd E.J., Bunn J., Flinn A., Lomas E., Sexton A. (2019), ‘Open government data: critical information management perspectives’, Records Management Journal 01
Flinn, A, (2018). 'Working with the past: making history of struggle part of the struggle'. In Reflections on Knowledge, Learning and Social Movements: History's Schools, eds Aziz Choudry & Salim Vally, Routledge 2018
Flinn, A. and Sexton, A. (2018). 'Research on community heritage: Moving from collaborative research to participatory and co-designed research practice'. In Heritage and Interpretation, eds Sheila Watson, Amy Barnes, Katy Bunning, Leicester Readers in Museum Studies, Routledge 2018
Nyhan, J. and Flinn, A. (2016) Computation and the Humanities:towards an oral history of Digital Humanities. Springer. (Open Access - PDF / ePUB here)
Flinn,A., Alexander,B. (2015) Guest Editors Special Issue on 'Archiving Activism and Activist Archiving', Archival Science 15-4
Flinn,A., Alexander,B. (2015), '"Humanizing an inevitably political craft": Introduction to the special issue on archiving activism and activist archiving', Archival Science 15-4
Flinn, A. (2015) 'Community Archives' in Encyclopedia of Archival Science, eds Luciana Duranti, Patricia C. Franks, Rowman & Littlefield
Dhanjal, S., Flinn, A., Lockyear, K., Moshenska, G. (2015). 'Dig where we stand'. In Lockyear, K. (Ed.), Archaeology in Hertfordshire: A festschrift for Tony Rook. (pp. 326-334). Hatfield: University of Hertfordshire Press.
Yeo, G., Flinn, A., Shepherd, E., (2014) 'Education in Records and Archives Management: A View from London', in Integrity in Government through Records Management: Essays in Honour of Anne Thurston, ed. J. Lowry and J. Wamukoya (Farnham, England: Ashgate), pp.217-224
Anderson, K., Bastian, J., Flinn, A. (2014), 'Mapping international core archives curriculum', ICA-SAE Conference Papers, 1-1: 1-18
Anderson, K., Bastian, J., Flinn, A., Samuelsson, G. (2012, published in October 2014), 'Virtual Experiments in Collaborative Archival Education: Constructing a Digital Laboratory for Digital Learning' Comma: International Journal on Archives 2012(2): 97-104
- Gilliland, A., Flinn, A. (2013) 'Community Archives: What are we really talking about?', Keynote address, Nexus, Confluence, and Difference: Community Archives meets Community Informatics: Prato CIRN Conference Oct 28-30 2013, Editors: Larry Stillman, Amalia Sabiescu, Nemanja Memarovic, Centre for Community Networking Research, Centre for Social Informatics, Monash University. ISBN 978-0-9874652-1-4
- Flinn, A., Sexton, A., (2013) 'Research on community heritage: moving from collaborative research to participatory and co-designed research practice', Nexus, Confluence, and Difference: Community Archives meets Community Informatics: Prato CIRN Conference Oct 28-30 2013, Editors: Larry Stillman, Amalia Sabiescu, Nemanja Memarovic, Centre for Community Networking Research, Centre for Social Informatics, Monash University. ISBN 978-0-9874652-1-4
- Flinn, A., (2013) 'Sharing memories, competing narratives. Online archival heritage and the articulation of individual, community and national identities', Keynote address in Differentes Olhares Sobre Os Arquivos Online: Digitalizacao, Memoria e Acesso (Different Views of Online Archives: Digitisation, Memory and Access) edited by Lucia Maria Velloso de Oliveira & Maria Celina Soaries de Mello e Silva. Rio de Janeiro, Associacao dos Arquivistas (AAB) ISBN 978-85-85800-10-9
- Duff, W., Flinn, A., Suurtamm, K. E., Wallace, D. (2013), 'Social justice impact of archives: a preliminary investigation', Archival Science 13 (4): 317-348 doi: 10.1007/s10502-012-9198-x (First published online January 2013)
- Ray, L., Shepherd, E., Flinn, A., Ander, E. & Laperdrix, M. (2013), 'Funding archive services in England and Wales: institutional realities and professional perceptions', Archives and Records: The Journal of the Archives and Records Association, DOI: 10.1080/23257962.2013.822355. Eprint available for download (limited)
- Nyhan, J., Flinn, A., Welsh, A. (2013) 'Oral History and the hidden histories project: towards a history of computing in the Humanities'. Literary and Linguistic Computing: the journal of digital scholarship in the humanities.
- Flinn, A with R. Perks. (2013) 'Curation or Creation? Archivists and Oral History', Oral History Spring 41-1, 113-119
- Cohen, G., Mates, L., Flinn, A. (2012), 'Capture-Recapture Methods and Party Activism in Britain'. The Journal of Interdisciplinary History 43(2): 247-274.
- Flinn,A. (2012) 'Archives and their communities: Collecting histories, challenging heritage', Memory, Narrative and Histories: Critical Debates, New Trajectories edited by Graham Dawson, Working Papers on Memory, Narrative and Histories, no. 1, University of Brighton
- Flinn,A. (2012) Review: I, Digital: Personal collections in the Digital Age, edited by Cal Lee, Records Management Journal 22:3
- Nyhan, J., Flinn, A., Welsh, A. (2012) Introduction. Digital Humanities Quarterly 6:3.
- Flinn, A. (2011), 'Archival activism. Independent and community-led archives, radical public history and the heritage professions', InterActions: UCLA Journal of Education and Information Studies Volume 7, Issue 2 Available here
- Stevens, M., Flinn, A., Shepherd, E. (2011) 'New frameworks for community engagement in the archive sector: from handing over to handing on', Heritage and Community Engagement. Collaboration or Contestation edited by Emma Waterton and Steve Watson, Abingdon:Routledge
- Flinn, A. (2011) 'The impact of independent and community archives on professional archival thinking and practice.' Hill,J. (ed) The Future of Archives and Recordkeeping, London: Facet Publishing
- Flinn,A., Shepherd, E. (2011), Guest Editors Special Edition, Archives, Records and Identities - Questions of Trust, Archival Science 11 3-4
- Flinn, A., Shepherd, E. (2011) 'Questions of trust (and distrust)'. Archival Science 11 (3-4) 169-174
- Shepherd, E., Stevenson, A., and Flinn, A. (2011) 'Records management in English local government: The effect of freedom of information'. Records Management Journal, 21 (2)
- Shepherd, E., Flinn, A., Stevenson, A. (2011) 'Freedom of Information and records management in local government: help or hindrance?' Information Polity: the International Journal of Governance and Democracy in the Information Age
- Flinn, A. (2010). '"An attack on professionalism and scholarship"?: Democratising Archives and the Production of Knowledge.' Ariadne 62 Available here
- Stevens, M., Flinn, A., Shepherd, E. (2010) 'New frameworks for community engagement in the archive sector: from handing over to handing on.' International Journal of Heritage Studies Volume 16 Issues 1 & 2, 59-76 DOI: 10.1080/13527250903441770 Eprint available for download (limited)
- Flinn, A. (2010). 'Independent Community Archives and Community-Generated Content. Writing and Saving our Histories.' Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies 16 (1), 39-51 DOI 10.1177/1354856509347707
- Flinn, A. (2008, published 2010) 'Migrations, disputed heritages and multicultured identities: archives in post-colonial societies' Archives and Manuscripts 36 (2), 54-75
- Flinn, A. (2008, published 2010). 'Archives and their communities: serving the people', COMMA 2008-1, 157-168
- Sayeau, M., Flinn, A & Furlong, G. Orwell Online podcast.
- Tubb, K., Cain, J., Fend, M, Flinn, A. Cultural property - an ethical resource for study and enjoyment', UCL Podcasts. Available here
- Flinn, A., Pick, G. (2009). 'Diversifying and democratising archive collections - an agenda for transformation', in the Mayor's Commission on African and Asian Heritage, Embedding Shared Heritage: The Heritage Diversity Task Force Report, London: GLA
- Flinn, A., Stevens, M. (2009). '"It is noh mistri, wi mekin histri" . Telling Our Own Story: Independent and Community Archives in the United Kingdom, Challenging and Subverting the Mainstream.' Bastian, J. & Alexander, B. (eds.) Community Archives. The shaping of memory. London: Facet Publishing. ISBN 978-1-85604-639-8
- Flinn, A., Stevens, M., Shepherd, E. (2009). 'Whose memories, whose archives? Independent community archives, autonomy and the mainstream.' Archival Science 9(1-2), 71-86 DOI 10.1007/s10502-009-9105-2
- Shepherd, E., Stevenson, A., Flinn, A. (2009) 'The Impact of Freedom of Information on Records Management Use in Local Government: A Literature Review.' Journal of the Society of Archivists 30(2), 227-248.
- Flinn, A. (2009). '"Mothers for Peace", co-operation, feminism and peace: the Women's Co-operative Guild and the anti-war movement between the wars' Chapter 9 in Black, L. & Robertson, N. (eds.) Taking Stock: Consumerism and the Co-operative movement in modern British history. Manchester: MUP, 138-154. ISBN: 9780719076848
- Flinn, A., Jones, H. (2009). 'The Freedom of Information Act in practice: the historian's perspective', Chapter 3 in Flinn, A. & Jones, H. (eds.), Freedom of Information. Open Access, Empty Archives? London: Routledge 33-53. ISBN: 9781857434200
- Flinn, A., Jones, H. (eds.) (2009), Freedom of Information. Open Access, Empty Archives? London: Routledge. ISBN: 9781857434200
- Flinn,A. (2008). 'Other Ways of Thinking, Other Ways of Being. Documenting the Margins and the Transitory: What to Preserve, How to Collect' Chapter 6 in Craven,L (ed.) What are Archives? Cultural and Theoretical Perspectives. Aldershot: Ashgate, 109-128. ISBN: 9780754673101
- Cohen, G., Flinn, A. D., Morgan, K. (2008). 'Towards a Mixed Method Social History: Combining Quantitative and Qualitative Methods in the Study of Collective Biography'. In Keats-Rohan, K. B. S. (Ed.). A Guide to Prosopography. Oxford
- Flinn,A. (2007). 'Community Histories, Community Archives: Some Opportunities and Challenges.' Journal of the Society of Archivists 28(2), 151-176. Eprint available for download (limited)
- Morgan,K., Cohen,G., Flinn,A. (2007), Communists and British Society 1920-1991,London: Rivers Oram Press. ISBN: 1854891448. 356pp.
- Cohen, G., Flinn, A., Mates, L. (2007)'Political Culture and the Post-War Labour Party. Values, practices and activism in the South Lewisham Labour Party, 1948-1971', Socialist History 32, 59-83
- Flinn,A., Cross,R. (2006). 'Studying Political Activism: Biographical Approaches to the Writing of Party Histories' Science and Society 70(1), 11-21
- Flinn, A., Cohen, G. (2006). 'The Abyssinia Crisis, British Labour and the Fracturing of the Anti-War Movement', Socialist History 28, 37-59
- Flinn, A. (2006). Freedom of Information Handbook, edited by Peter Carey and Marcus Turle. Open Government: a journal of freedom of information 2(1)
- Flinn, A. (2006). The Struggle for Labour's Soul: Understanding Labour's political thought since 1945, edited by Raymond Plant, Matt Beech & Kevin Hickson and New Labour, Old Labour: The Wilson and Callaghan Governments, 1974-79, edited by Anthony Seldon and Kevin Hickson. Labour History Review 71(3)
- Flinn,A. (2005). 'Labour's family: trade union branches, local Labour parties and trade councils in inter-war Lancashire' in Worley,M. (ed.) Labour's Grassroots: Members, Activists and the Labour Party, 1918-45. Aldershot: Ashgate, 102-123. ISBN: 0754640078
- Flinn,A., Cohen,G. (2005). 'Locating the typical British Communist' in Morgan, K., Cohen, G., Flinn, A. (ed.) Agents of the Revolution: new biographical approaches to the history of the Comintern. Oxford: Peter Lang. ISBN: 3039100750
- Flinn,A., Cohen,G., Mates, Lewis (2005). 'National politicians and local political parties: Herbert Morrison and the South Lewisham Labour Party' Lewisham History Journal 13, 29-60
- Flinn,A., Morgan,K., Cohen,G. (2005), Agents of the Revolution: new biographical approaches to the history of the Comintern Oxford: Peter Lang
- Flinn, A. D., Cohen, G. (2005). 'The Abyssinian Crisis, British Labour and the fracturing of the anti-war movement'. Socialist History (28), 37-59
- Flinn,A., Woolmore,E. (2004). 'Describing Manchester's Archives. Collection level descriptions and the Greater Manchester Past Finder Project' Journal of the Society of Archivists 25(1), 51-62. ISSN: 0037-9816
- Flinn, A., Morgan, K. (2003). 'George Hardy'. In Gildart, K., Howell, D., Kirk, N. (Eds.). Dictionary of Labour Biography, Volume X1 (pp.98-109). Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Flinn, A. (2003). Faking Real Existing Socialism: some thoughts on Good Bye Lenin! Communist History Network Newsletter (15) Manchester
- Flinn,A. (2002). 'Cypriot, Indian and West Indian Branches of the CPGB, 1945-1970. An experiment in self-organisation?' Socialist History (21), 47-66
- Flinn,A. (2001). 'William Rust: Comintern's blue eyed boy?' in Morgan,K., McIlroy,J., Campbell,A. (ed.) Party People - Communist Lives, Explorations in Biography Party People - Communist Lives, Explorations in Biography. London: Lawrence and Wishart. ISBN: 085315936X