Centre for Inflammation and Tissue Repair



PhD Research degrees

CITR has an active and longstanding history in the provision of high quality PhD training in fundamental and translational science for science graduates and clinical training fellows. Past students have taken up careers in a range of areas including, academic and pharmaceutical research, medical writing, and research administration.

Positions for science graduates are funded via a variety of different funding streams, including CASE awards, grants from the major funding agencies and charities and UCL graduate schemes (UCL Grand Challenges; Impact Studentships). These PhD positions are advertised externally (jobs.ac.uk). We also have an excellent track record in securing funding for clinical training fellows from the MRC and the Wellcome Trust and are interested in attracting high quality clinical trainees from respiratory or other relevant specialities (e.g. paediatrics, infectious diseases, rheumatology) interested in a period of academic training within the centre. We also actively participate in the highly successful UCL MB PhD Programme. UCL has NIHR academic clinical fellow and clinical lecturer posts for respiratory trainees, the holders of which are often closely associated with specific PIs within CITR depending on their research interests.

Those interested in undertaking PhD training within the centre should initially contact our centre administrator, Vinetta Archer-Dyer (citr@ucl.ac.uk) or the Principal Investigator whose research area is of most interest. Applicants should hold a minimum of a relevant upper second class degree, an MBBS or equivalent qualifications.

Undergraduate and postgraduate taught degrees

Members of the Centre actively contribute to the undergraduate MBBS, iBSc, BSc and Masters teaching programmes within the Division.

The Centre provides BSc and MSc/MRes research project supervision for highly motivated students. Students wishing to undertake their project in the Centre should initially contact the Principal Investigator or Senior Research Associate whose research area most interests you.