Professor Paul Griffiths
Professor of Virology
Research in the Griffiths lab focuses on herpesviruses, vaccination, and virus infection of the immunocompromised host.
My research concerns quantitative aspects of the natural history and pathogenesis of herpesvirus infections, especially cytomegalovirus in immunocompromised renal, or liver transplant patients, in addition to the potential interactions between herpesviruses and HIV.
My interests are in the design of, and results from controlled clinical trials of compounds or vaccines active against herpesviruses, which when used as probes of pathogenesis may reveal the full spectrum of diseases caused or triggered by these common infectious agents.
My group completed a Phase II trial into a novel vaccine for cytomegalovirus with positive results and our current research aims to identify immune correlates of protection. I am now in the process of advising on the design of alternate vaccine trials for cytomegalovirus.
- Baraniak I, Kropff B, Ambrose L, McIntosh M, McLean GR, Pichon S, Atkinson C, Milne RSB, Mach M, Griffiths PD, Reeves MB. Protection from cytomegalovirus viremia following glycoprotein B vaccination is not dependent on neutralizing antibodies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018;pii: 201800224
- Baraniak I, Kropff B, McLean GR, Pichon S, Piras-Douce F, Milne RSB, Smith C, Mach M, Griffiths PD, Reeves MB. Epitope-Specific Humoral Responses to Human Cytomegalovirus Glycoprotein-B Vaccine with MF59: Anti-AD2 Levels Correlate with Protection from Viremia. J Infect Dis. 2018
- Natori Y, Alghamdi A, Tazari M, Miller V, Husain S, Komatsu T, Griffiths P, Ljungman P, Orchanian-Cheff A, Kumar D, Humar A; CMV Consensus Forum. Use of Viral Load as a Surrogate Marker in Clinical Studies of Cytomegalovirus in Solid Organ Transplantation: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66(4):617-631
- Baraniak IA, Reeves MB, Griffiths PD. Criteria to define interruption of transmission of human cytomegalovirus from organ donor to recipient. Rev Med Virol. 2017;28(1)
- Griffiths PD, Rothwell E, Raza M, Wilmore S, Doyle T, Harber M, O'Beirne J, Mackinnon S, Jones G, Thorburn D, Mattes F, Nebbia G, Atabani S, Smith C, Stanton A, Emery VC. Correction: Randomized Controlled Trials to Define Viral Load Thresholds for Cytomegalovirus Pre-Emptive Therapy. PLoS One. 2017;12(9):e0185298
- Ljungman P, Boeckh M, Hirsch HH, Josephson F, Lundgren J, Nichols G, Pikis A, Razonable RR, Miller V, Griffiths PD; Disease Definitions Working Group of the Cytomegalovirus Drug Development Forum. Definitions of Cytomegalovirus Infection and Disease in Transplant Patients for Use in Clinical Trials. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64(1):87-91
- Griffiths PD, Rothwell E, Raza M, Wilmore S, Doyle T, Harber M, O'Beirne J, Mackinnon S, Jones G, Thorburn D, Mattes F, Nebbia G, Atabani S, Smith C, Stanton A, Emery VC. Randomized Controlled Trials to Define Viral Load Thresholds for Cytomegalovirus Pre-Emptive Therapy. PLoS One. 2016;11(9):e0163722
- Kadambari S, Atkinson C, Luck S, Macartney M, Conibear T, Harrison I, Booth C, Sharland M, Griffiths PD. Characterising variation in five genetic loci of cytomegalovirus during treatment for congenital infection. J Med Virol. 2017;89(3):502-507
- Griffiths PD, Mahungu T. Why CMV is a candidate for elimination and then eradication. J Virus Erad. 2016;2(3):131-5
- Kimberlin DW, Jester PM, Sánchez PJ, Ahmed A, Arav-Boger R, Michaels MG, Ashouri N, Englund JA, Estrada B, Jacobs RF, Romero JR, Sood SK, Whitworth MS, Abzug MJ, Caserta MT, Fowler S, Lujan-Zilbermann J, Storch GA, DeBiasi RL, Han JY, Palmer A, Weiner LB, Bocchini JA, Dennehy PH, Finn A, Griffiths PD, Luck S, Gutierrez K, Halasa N, Homans J, Shane AL, Sharland M, Simonsen K, Vanchiere JA, Woods CR, Sabo DL, Aban I, Kuo H, James SH, Prichard MN, Griffin J, Giles D, Acosta EP, Whitley RJ; National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Collaborative Antiviral Study Group. Valganciclovir for symptomatic congenital cytomegalovirus disease. N Engl J Med. 2015;372(10):933-43.