Who we are

Past and Present

The Institute of Jewish Studies was established in 1954 in Manchester by the late Professor Alexander Altmann, to promote the academic study of all branches of Jewish culture. Since 1959 it has been located within the Department of Hebrew and Jewish Studies at UCL, while retaining its autonomous status. The IJS is funded by donations and has its own Patrons, governing body and Director. All its events are free and open to all.

Patrons

The Lord Moser, KCB, CBE, FBA

The Rt Hon The Lord Woolf

(Former Patrons: Sir Isaiah Berlin, Lord Mishcon, William Frankel CBE, LLB)

The Trustees of the Institute of Jewish Studies Board of Governors

Chairman: Philip L Morgenstern, BA (Hons)

Hon Treasurer: Daniel Peltz, MA

Hon Secretary: J Caplan, FCA

David J Lewis, BSc, FRICS

Edward M Lee BSc (Econ) (Hons)

Stuart Roden

Charity Registration No: 213114

Enquiries:

Institute of Jewish Studies

University College London

Gower Street

London WC1E 6BT

Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 3520

Fax: +44 (0)20 7679 2766

E-mail: ijs@ucl.ac.uk

Internet: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ijs

Page last modified on 24 jan 14 15:53