Paediatric Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy
24th January – 31st January 2018
This module is designed for physiotherapists who wish to develop their knowledge and understanding of paediatric musculoskeletal physiotherapy. Drawing on the evidence base, the aim is to provide students with theoretical and clinical understanding of the specialist physiotherapy management of paediatric musculoskeletal conditions (including acute, chronic, congenital and rare disorders).
Students will be encouraged to reflect critically on their own practice and scope of practice within the multidisciplinary team and will be expected to actively participate in discussions, debate and workshops.
Students successfully completing this module should be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and understanding of musculoskeletal growth and development, gait and physical activity requirements in the growing child.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and understanding of the epidemiology, aetiology and pathophysiology of selected congenital, acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and a critical understanding of the physiotherapy and management of selected congenital, acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions within a multidisciplinary, evidence based and clinical reasoning framework.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and critical understanding of selected outcome measured used in paediatric musculoskeletal physiotherapy.
- Critically reflect on their scope of practice and their role within the multi-disciplinary team in the triage and management pathways of children and adolescents with selected congenital, acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions.
The module will be delivered via a combination of face to face lectures, workshops and seminars. Teaching will be facilitated by relevant experts in their field. Online learning activities will be included to support the face to delivery.
Moodle, the UCL virtual learning platform will be used to facilitate communication both between tutors and students, and between the students themselves, and also to provide learning resources and feedback. Lecture capture technology will be used throughout the module for recording of lectures, so that students can refer back to them during revision periods.
The module can be chosen as a core component of the Postgraduate Paediatric Physiotherapy pathways at UCL. Participants may also undertake the course as a discrete unit for CPD or, if assessed, may use the 15 credits towards completion of the MSc or Diploma at UCL.
Assessment: This module is assessed by a three hour unseen written exam
Assessment date: March 20th 2018
Module leader: Dr Jane Simmonds
Fees: Short course (£800) Taster course (£850)