SONATA NFV: Agile Service Development and Orchestration in 5G Virtualized Networks
This page has been archived and will no longer be updated
1 May 2015
Enhancing communications networks and enabling services through virtualisation and software networks
Funder EU HORIZON 2020
Amount 5,856,267 GBP (total); 746,127 GBP (UCL)
Virtualisation and software networks are a major disruptive technology for communications networks, enabling services to be deployed as software functions running directly in the network on commodity hardware. However, deploying the more complex user-facing applications and services envisioned for 5G networks presents significant technological challenges for development and deployment. SONATA addresses both issues.
For service development, SONATA provides service patterns and description techniques for composed services. A customised NFV Service Development Kit (SDK)is developed to boost the efficiency of developers of network functions and composed services, by integrating catalogue access, editing, debugging, and monitoring analysis tools with service packaging for shipment to an operator.
For service deployment in 5G environments, SONATA provides a novel service platform to manage service execution. The platform complements the SDK with functionality to validate service packages. Moreover, it improves on existing platforms by providing a flexible and extensible orchestration framework based on a plugin architecture.
- "Views on 5G Architecture – Mark 2" White Paper – 5G PPP Association – January 2018 A. Galis (editor & contributor) https://5g-ppp.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/5G-PPP-5G-Architecture-Whit...
- “Towards 5G Software-Defined Ecosystems - Technical Challenges, Business Sustainability and Policy Issues” White Paper- Antonio Manzalini, Telecom Italia Mobile, Italy, Cagatay Buyukkoc, AT&T Labs, USA, Prosper Chemouil, Sławomir Kuklinski Orange, France Franco Callegati, University of Bologna, Italy, Alex Galis, University College London, UK Marie-Paule Odini, HP, France, Chih-Lin I, Jinri Huang, China Mobile, China Mike Bursell, Intel, UK, Noel Crespi, Telecom Sud Paris, France Eileen Healy, pdv Wireless, USA Stuart Sharrock, Telemates, UK - July 2016 http://sdn.ieee.org/images/files/pdf/towards-5g-software-defined-ecosyst...
- “Perspectives on Network Slicing – Towards the New ‘Bread and Butter’ of Networking and Servicing” Open Access Paper - Alex Galis – January 2018 https://sdn.ieee.org/newsletter/january-2018/perspectives-on-network-sli...
- “Development and Operations (DevOps) for Network Function Virtualization” - H. Karl, S. Dräxler, M. Peuster, A. Galis, M. Bredel, A. Ramos, J. Martrat, M. S. Siddiqui, S. van Rossem, W. Tavernier, G. Xilouris - Wiley Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies; – August 2016 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)2161-3915
- “A flexible information service for management of virtualized software-defined infrastructures” L. Mamatas, S. Clayman, and A. Galis - International Journal of Network Management- published 15th July 2016 DOI: 10.1002/nem.1943; http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nem.1943/full
- “Information Management as a Service for Network Function Virtualization Environments" -L. Mamatas, S. Clayman, A. Galis - IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management – (IEEE TNSM), DOI: 10.1109/TNSM.2016.2587664, Publication date: August 2016
- “Software-Defined Infrastructure” - L. Mamatas, S. Clayman and A. Galis - IEEE Communications Magazine in April 2015 (Volume 53, Issue 4), pp 166-174, ISSN 0163-6804; DOI: 10.1109/MCOM.2015.7081091
- “Throughput Maximization and Resource Optimization in NFV-Enabled Networks”- Z. Xu, W. Liang, A. Galis, and Y. Ma - IEEE International Conference on Communications, 21-25 May 2017, Paris, France; http://icc2017.ieee-icc.org
- "Approximation and online algorithms for NFV-enabled multicasting in SDNs." - Zichuan Xu, Weifa Liang, Meitian Huang, Mike Jia, Song Guo, and Alex Galis Proc of IEEE ICDCS’17, June 2017.
- “Efficient Management Solutions for Software Defined Infrastructures”- S. Clayman, L. Mamatas, A. Galis - IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS) - http://noms2016.ieee-noms.org; DOI: 10.1109/NOMS.2016.7503005,
- “Experimenting with Control Operations in Software-Defined Infrastructures”- S. Clayman, L. Mamatas, A. Galis IEEE Network Softwarization (IEEE NetSoft 2016); http://opennetworking.kr/ossn; http://sites.ieee.org/netsoft/; DOI: 10.1109/NETSOFT.2016.7502473,
- “Energy-efficiency Enablers and Operations in Software-Defined Environments” - S. Clayman, L. Mamatas, A. GalisManagement of 5G Networks Workshop at IEEE NOMS 2016, 25-29 April 2016, Istanbul, Turkey - http://noms2016.ieee-noms.org