ICN2020: Advancing ICN towards real-world deployment
This page has been archived and will no longer be updated
1 July 2016
Developing Information-Centric Network technology, through real-world examples, as a solution to the exponential increase in information access on the internet.
Funder Horizon 2020
Amount € 1 500 000
Project website http://www.icn2020.org/
ICN2020 will build on the wealth of studies performed on Infomation-Centric Networks (ICN) with six main aims: a) design and develop a set of innovative applications such as video delivery, interactive videos and social networks to exploit ICN; b) augment ICN with IoT features and cloud/CDN/virtualization services; c) accordingly enhance existing ICN solutions/ architectures; d) build local and global test-bed(s) to experiment the applications, services and ICN enhancements; e) contribute to common APIs and standards, by continuing the work that project partners are already doing; and f) Industry POCs of products and services exploiting ICN.
Information access on the Internet is exploding. Usage is shifting to multimedia applications, social networking and IoE. Cellular networks are moving to the next generation. Networking technology is shifting towards virtualization, with SDN and NFV likely to change the infrastructure landscape. The cloud concept is transforming the Internet to a network of data centers, with a communication model consisting of computer-to-cloud-to-computer interactions. Security concerns are leading to an encryption of all traffic, wreaking havoc with established network mechanisms.
The ICN2020 consortium includes leading experts in ICN and contributors to ICN testbeds in EU, Japan and USA, thus making the goal of federating them a credible one. Partners are also coordinators of running projects on 5G and Cloud topics, allowing fruitful cooperation with fellow projects of the EU-JP1, EU-JP2 calls and increasing the overall expected impact of the EU-Japan cooperation. In a time when 5G networks are being designed, with foreseen unprecedented flexibility due to the virtualization and slice concepts, the development of compelling demonstrations of ICN for real-world use-cases will encourage critical industry investment of resources.
- Sripriya Adhatarao, Mayutan Arumaithurai, Dirk Kutscher, Xiaoming Fu, "ISI: Integrate Sensor Networks to Internet with ICN", IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2017
- George Parisis, Vasilis Sourlas, Konstantinos V. Katsaros, Wei Koong Chai, George Pavlou, Ian Wakeman, "Efficient Content Delivery through Fountain Coding in Opportunistic Information-Centric Networks", Elsevier, Computer Communications 2017
- Ruidong Li, Hitoshi Asaeda, Jie Li, Xiaoming Fu, "A Distributed Authentication and Authorization Scheme for In-Network Big Data Sharing", Elsevier, Digital Communications and Networks 2017
- Gkatzikis, Lazaros, Sourlas, Vasilis, Fischione, Carlo, Koutsopoulos, Iordanis, "Low complexity content replication through clustering in Content-Delivery Networks", COMNET 2017
- Masanori Ishino, Yuki Koizumi, Toru Hasegawa. "Device Discovery of Mobile IoT Gateways in 5G Environment", IEICE TRANS. COMMUN., 2017
- Jun Kurihara, Kenji Yokota and Atsushi Tagami, "List Interest: Simply Packing Interests Dramatically Reduces Router Workload in Content-Centric Networking", IEICE TRANS. COMMUN., December 2016