DOLFIN: Data Centres Optimization for Energy‐Efficient and Environmentally Friendly Internet
This page has been archived and will no longer be updated
1 November 2014
Improving the energy efficiency of Data Centres and stabilizing of Smart Grids, via a holistic approach, across networks of Data Centres and Smart Grids.
Funder FP7, European Union's Research and Innovation funding programme
Amount EUR 4 060 360 (total); 733,933 GBP (UCL)
Project website http://www.dolfin-fp7.eu
DOLFIN aims to significantly contribute towards improving the energy efficiency of Data Centres and stabilizing of Smart Grids, a holistic approach, across networks of Data Centres and Smart Grids.
DOLFIN would model, monitor, and measure energy consumption and enable seamless, autonomic migration of VMs between servers of the same DC or across a group of Energy-conscious, Synergetic DCs, aiming to:
- Optimize the overall energy consumption by dynamically changing the percentage of active versus stand-by servers and the load per active server in a DC, and
- Stabilize the Smart Grid energy distribution, under peak load and increased demand, by dynamically changing the energy consumption/ production requirements of the local DCs.
- “The Dynamic Placement of Virtual Network Functions” – IEEE/IFIP NOMS 2014 / SDNMO 2014 - Clayman, S., Maini, E., Galis, A., Manzalini, A., Mazzocca, N. -–Krakow; http://noms2014.ieee-noms.org; http://clayfour.ee.ucl.ac.uk/sdnmo2014/
- “Experimenting with Management Information Orchestration for Virtual Software-Defined Networks”- International Journal of Network Management - L. Mamatas, S. Clayman, A. Galis - Special Issue on Software-Defined Operations; DOI: 10.1002/nem.1943, Publication date: August 2016 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1190/earlyview
- “A flexible information service for management of virtualized software-defined infrastructures” - L. Mamatas, S. Clayman, A. Galis - International Journal of Network Management- published 15th July 2016 DOI: 10.1002/nem.1943; http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nem.1943/full
- “Information Management as a Service for Network Function Virtualization Environments - L. Mamatas, S. Clayman, A. Galis -IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management – (IEEE TNSM), DOI: 10.1109/TNSM.2016.2587664, Publication date: August 2016
- “Software-Defined Infrastructure” - L. Mamatas, S. Clayman, A. Galis - IEEE Communications Magazine in April 2015 (Volume 53, Issue 4), pp 166-174, ISSN 0163-6804; DOI: 10.1109/MCOM.2015.7081091