5GEx: 5G Exchange
This page has been archived and will no longer be updated
1 October 2017
To enable end-to-end 5G network and service elements to mix in multi-vendor, heterogeneous technology and resource environments.
Funder EU HORIZON 2020
Amount 6,967,555 GBP (total); 733,933 GBP (UCL)
Project website http://www.5gex.eu
5GEx aims to enable collaboration between operators, regarding 5G infrastructure services, with the view to introducing unification via NFV/SDN compatible multi-domain orchestration by producing:
- An open platform enabling cross-domain orchestration of services over these multiple domains, with a set of open source software tools and extensions that can be utilised outside the scope of 5GEx
- A Sandbox Network enabling experimentation and validation of the devised architecture, mechanisms, and business models
- A proof-of-innovation multi-domain platform enabling multiple 5G use cases and realistic scenarios that demonstrate the orchestration of complex end-to-end Infrastructure as a Service across multiple carriers
- Contributions to standards bodies of concepts learned during the development and experimentation of the project
- "Beyond 5G Research" White Paper – NetWorld2020 30th November 2015 - http://networld2020.eu/sria-and-whitepapers/
- "Views on 5G Architecture – Mark 2" White Paper – 5G PPP Association – January 2018 A. Galis (editor & contributor) https://5g-ppp.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/5G-PPP-5G-Architecture-Whit...
- "Towards 5G Software-Defined Ecosystems - Technical Challenges, Business Sustainability and Policy Issues” White Paper- Antonio Manzalini, Telecom Italia Mobile, Italy, Cagatay Buyukkoc, AT&T Labs, USA, Prosper Chemouil, Sławomir Kuklinski Orange, France Franco Callegati, University of Bologna, Italy, Alex Galis, University College London, UK Marie-Paule Odini, HP, France, Chih-Lin I, Jinri Huang, China Mobile, China Mike Bursell, Intel, UK, Noel Crespi, Telecom Sud Paris, France Eileen Healy, pdv Wireless, USA Stuart Sharrock, Telemates, UK - July 2016 http://sdn.ieee.org/images/files/pdf/towards-5g-software-defined-ecosyst...
- "Perspectives on Network Slicing – Towards the New ‘Bread and Butter’ of Networking and Servicing” Open Access Paper - Alex Galis – January 2018 https://sdn.ieee.org/newsletter/january-2018/perspectives-on-network-sli...
- "Analysis of End-to-End Multi-Domain Management and Orchestration Frameworks for Software Defined Infrastructures: an Architectural Survey”- R. Guerzoni, I. Vaishnavi, D. Perez, A. Galis, F. Tusa, P. Monti, A. Sgambelluri, G. Biczók, B. Sonkoly, L. Toka, A. Ramos, J. Melián, O. Dugeon, F. Cugini, B. Martini, P. Iovanna, G. Giuliani, R. Figueiredo, L. M. Contreras-Murillo, C. J. Bernardos, C. Santana, R. Szabo –August 2016 Wiley Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies; http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)2161-3915
- "A flexible information service for management of virtualized software-defined infrastructures” -L. Mamatas, S. Clayman, A. Galis - International Journal of Network Management- published 15th July 2016 DOI: 10.1002/nem.1943; http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nem.1943/full
- "Information Management as a Service for Network Function Virtualization Environments - L. Mamatas, S. Clayman, A. Galis -IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management – (IEEE TNSM), DOI: 10.1109/TNSM.2016.2587664, Publication date: August 2016
- "Software-Defined Infrastructure” - L. Mamatas, S. Clayman, A. Galis -IEEE Communications Magazine in April 2015 (Volume 53, Issue 4), pp 166-174, ISSN 0163-6804; DOI: 10.1109/MCOM.2015.7081091
- "Algorithms for Fault-Tolerant Placement of Stateful Virtualized Network Functions” - B. Yang, Z. Xu, W. Koong Chai, W. Liang, D. Tuncer, A. Galis, and G. Pavlou –IEEE International Conference on Communications, 20-24 May 2018, Kansas City, MO, USA; http://icc2018.ieee-icc.org/content/welcome-ieee-icc-2018
- "Throughput Maximization and Resource Optimization in NFV-Enabled Networks”- Z. Xu, W. Liang, A. Galis, and Y. Ma –IEEE International Conference on Communications, 21-25 May 2017, Paris, France; http://icc2017.ieee-icc.org
- "Approximation and online algorithms for NFV-enabled multicasting in SDNs." - Zichuan Xu, Weifa Liang, Meitian Huang, Mike Jia, Song Guo, and Alex Galis.- Proc of IEEE ICDCS’17, June 2017.
- "Efficient Management Solutions for Software Defined Infrastructures”- - IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS) - S. Clayman, L. Mamatas, A. Galis - http://noms2016.ieee-noms.org; DOI: 10.1109/NOMS.2016.7503005, published.
- "Experimenting with Control Operations in Software-Defined Infrastructures”- - IEEE Network Softwarization (IEEE NetSoft 2016)- S. Clayman, L. Mamatas, A. Galis - http://opennetworking.kr/ossn; http://sites.ieee.org/netsoft/; DOI: 10.1109/NETSOFT.2016.7502473, published.
- "Energy-efficiency Enablers and Operations in Software-Defined Environments” - S. Clayman, L. Mamatas, A. Galis - Management of 5G Networks Workshop at IEEE NOMS 2016, 25-29 April 2016, Istanbul, Turkey - http://noms2016.ieee-noms.org
- "Multi-domain Orchestration and Management of Software Defined Infrastructures: a Bottom-Up Approach", - R. Guerzoni, D. Perez Caparros, P. Monti, G. Giuliani, J. Melian, C. J. Bernardos Cano, G. Biczók, B. Sonkoly, F. Tusa, A. Galis, I. Vaishnavi, F. Ubaldi, A. Sgambelluri, C. Santana, R. Szabo-IEEE EuCNC 2016, 27-30 June 3016 Athens, Greece
- "5G Exchange (5GEx) – Multi-domain Orchestration for Software Defined Infrastructures for Networks, Clouds and Services” - Bernardos, C. J, Csaba, S., Dugeon, O., Galis, A., Morris, D., and Szabo, R., – European Conference on Networks and Communications, 29 June - 2 July 2015, http://eucnc.eu