1.If an employee becomes incapable of carrying out the duties of their post, due to ill health or incapacity and is a member of a Pension Scheme provided by UCL, they may be able to retire early. In all cases this would be subject to providing satisfactory medical evidence and meeting the eligibility conditions of the Pension Scheme.
2. If a Manager is concerned about an employee’s ill health or incapacity, a referral should be made to UCL Workplace Health Service (WH) for advice in the first instance. Please see Appendix H: Workplace Health.
3. Applications for ill-health/incapacity early retirement need to be made to UCL Pension Services whilst the individual is still a UCL employee and an active member of the pension scheme.
4. It should be noted that because there are third parties involved in the process, it can take approximately 3 months or more from the point of application to the time approval is provided and benefits are eventually put into payment.
5. UCL Pension Services will initiate the claims process and co-ordinate with WH for the gathering of the information required in order to submit the application to the Pension Scheme administrators. Similarly, Pension Services will liaise with HR Business Partnering, particularly where there is or has been involvement in individual cases relating to long-term sickness absence.
Pension Scheme Requirements
6. Each Pension Scheme has its own individual requirements relating to;
- eligibility conditions
- benefit entitlements
- the application process
- medical evidence required
- forms that need to be completed
- criteria to be met following the payment of benefits (in accordance with the scheme rules)
7. This information is available from the individual Pension Schemes:
8. Further Information and guidance is also available from UCL Pension Services:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 3108 7166 (Internal: 57166)