Coaching profile for Dr. Emma Sedgwick
As an executive coach, it’s Emma’s mission to help people achieve their professional goals and reach their potential within their organisation.
Emma works collaboratively with individuals, enabling them to effectively use their talents and determination to make lasting, positive changes. Clients tell her that she has offered valuable insights into their behaviour and instilled the confidence to meet challenges and improve their performance.
Emma believes her success as a coach is rooted in the skills she developed as a doctor specialising in psychiatry: actively listening to her clients, earning their trust and sensitively exploring the issues they raise in a safe, confidential environment.
After leaving clinical practice in 1999, Emma focused on supporting professionals.
She worked at the Medical Defence Union for eight years, which provides professional indemnity insurance. Emma advised doctors facing ethical and legal dilemmas and assisting others who were the subject of a complaint or disciplinary investigation. She was allowed to work in several different departments within the organisation, including marketing, the press office and finance. During this time, Emma completed an MBA.
Since 2006, Emma has worked extensively in healthcare and other sectors (Professional services, Retail, Consumer goods, Pharmaceutical, Public Sector, including Higher Education, Media, and Global Philanthropy) and became familiar with the challenges of working within highly complex organisations. Emma’s clients have included high achievers with leadership potential, professionals facing a change in their career and those facing significant life events.
Having been a doctor, Emma is more familiar than most with mental health issues. Whilst aware of boundaries, she is comfortable working with people who want to build resilience and confidence. In addition, Emma supervises other coaches, individually or in groups.
Emma is accredited as a Master Executive Coach by the Association for Professional Executive Coaching and Supervision (APECS), the UK’s leading executive coaching organisation. She abides by its ethical standards.
Areas of expertise
Emma has worked with senior leaders, academics, researchers, professional services staff as well as high potential managers from very diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Leadership and Management development
- Resilience, well being and mental health
- Increasing self awareness and behavioural change
- Transition to new role
- Confidence, Imposter Syndrome
- Work-life balance
- Courageous Conversations
- Career development and progression
Education and Professional Certification
- 2012: Diploma in Coaching and Behavioural Change, Henley Business School
- 2003: MBA, Henley Business School
- 1998: Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists (MRCPsych) 1998
- 1993: Medicine MBBS, University of London (The Royal London Medical School)
- 1990: Intercalated BSc in Psychology
- 2019: Embodied Neuroscience, The Beyond Partnership Ltd
- 2019: Fundamentals Part I: Systemic coaching and constellations, Coaching Constellations Ltd
- 2018: Certificate in Systemic Team Coaching, Academy of Executive Coaching
- 2016: Certified Practitioner in Brain and Behavioural Change, International Teaching Seminars (ITS)
- 2014: Systemic Coaching and Constellations: Foundations Level 1 Certificate, The Whole Partnership
- 2013: Certificate in Coaching Supervision, Henley Business School
- 2013: Thinking Environment Foundation Course, Think It Through
- 2010: Coaching Certificate, Henley Business School
- 2010: Level A and B Psychometric training with the use of all three Hogan Psychometrics (HPI, HDS, MVPI). Registered with the British Psychological Society (BPS) to use these psychometrics.
- 2009: Team Coaching using the Solutions Focus Approach, The Solutions Focus
- 2008: Postgraduate Certificate in Managing Medical Careers, Kent, Surrey and Sussex Deanery
- 2007: Career Coaching Certificate, Career Counselling Services (CCS)
- 2006: Coaching Certificate, International Teaching Seminars (ITS)
- 2006: NLP Master Practitioner, International Teaching Seminars (ITS)
Membership of Professional or Coaching Bodies
- Accredited Master Coach with APECS (Association for Professional Executive Coaching and Supervision) since 2013.