Information on the aims of the Race Equality Steering Group, as well as the members
Terms of Reference
The aims of the group
- To raise awareness internally and externally of race equality and cultural diversity at UCL
- To work with the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team to identify potential areas of concern in the university's policies and practices
- To develop practical solutions to address areas of concern
- To develop expertise and knowledge of race equality issues among group members
- To work with the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team and the Race, Religion and Belief Champion to advise senior management on ways to promote race equality at UCL
- To represent the views of black and minority ethnic staff at UCL
- To provide the wider network with opportunities for social and professional networking
- To work with external organisations, such as the Equality Challenge Unit, to promote race equality in higher education.
- Promote equality for Black Asian and minority ethnic staff and students by providing timely input (e.g. through consultation) to the University’s plans, strategies, policies, organizational change exercises and guidance.
- Provide a channel for communication and consultation between Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff and senior management in collaboration with the Equalities Diversity and Inclusion Team.
- Provide input to UCL on employment issues for Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff, in particular with respect to areas concerning recruitment and career progression.
- To participate actively in the implementation of the University’s Race Equality Action Plan and collaborate with the University on application for relevant charters and kite marks.
- To work on specific tasks, when requested, with the key stakeholders, UCL’s senior management and the Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion Team to eliminate any direct and indirect forms of discrimination faced by Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff and students.
- To produce social and professional events and activities relevant to race equality and cultural diversity at UCL.
Race Equality Steering Group members
Race Equality Steering Group Handbook
Full details of the Terms of reference, expectations of group members, responsibilities of officers etc. can be found within the following