Do you feel overwhelmed by your to-do list? Do you feel overloaded and exhausted at the end of each day? Come along to this interactive workshop where we will discuss these challenges.
Do you feel overwhelmed by your to-do list? Do you feel overloaded and exhausted at the end of each day? It is not uncommon to find academics juggling their workloads alongside a host of other responsibilities. Whether it’s publishing, teaching preparation, attending conferences, applying for jobs, or maintaining personal commitments – having multiple and competing commitments can often leave academics feeling depleted. This interactive workshop will explore the challenges of academic overload and ways to move beyond it. You will learn practical tools for balancing professional and personal commitments, while enhancing your enjoyment and sense of fulfilment in all areas.
This session will cover:
- The challenges and rewards of being an academic
- The physiology of stress and techniques for managing stress
- Assessing the tasks on your plate and learning to prioritise them
- Tips for balancing competing commitments
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Evaluate and prioritise your commitments
- Shift unhelpful thought patterns in relation to specific tasks
- Manage stress levels throughout the day
- Reconnect to what first drew you to an academic career
Early career researchers, established postdoctoral fellows, principal investigators and research leaders
Researcher Development Framework (RDF) subdomain
This course supports the following RDF subdomains (find out more about the RDF).
- B1 Personal Qualities
- B2 Self-management