Alfred T. Hinrichsen-Herrera
In 2016 Alfred entered the MPhil/PhD History programme at UCL, thanks to a scholarship given by the Chilean government (Becas Chile). He did his Master's in History and Bachelor's in History with a minor in Political Science at the Pontifical Catholic University of Valparaiso (PUCV). He has taught at PUCV and at the Federico Santa Maria Technical University (UTFSM), mainly teaching classes in contemporary Chilean history.
Alfred's research interests are in the political history of Chile and Latin America, with special emphasis on the nation-building process and on nationalist movements. For his PhD, he is currently focussing on how the Chilean nationalist discourse engaged with the issues of immigration, the Mapuche people, and the neighbouring countries; as well as how intellectual transnational networks between Chile and Argentina contributed to the construction of a Chilean nationalist discourse during the second half of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century.
Supervisor: Nicola Miller (primary) and Thom Rath (secondary)
Working title: 'The Frontiers of Chilean Nationalism: Foreigners, Indigenous People, and Neighbours, 1840-1930'
Expected completion date: 2020
- 'La crítica y alternativa Nacionalista al modelo educacional decimonónico. 1900-1930' ['Nationalist critique and alternative to the nineteenth century educational model. 1900-1930'] in: La Universidad chilena en los albores del siglo XX. Conceptos y Experiencias, Editorial USM, Valparaíso, Chile, July 2016.
- 'Consideraciones en torno al uso y definición del concepto de nación.' ['Considerations regarding the use and definition of the concept of nation'], Cuadernos de Historia Cultural, Crítica y Reflexión, Vol. 3, 2013, pp. 26-37.
Conference papers and presentations
- 'El problema de identificar al otro. Las fronteras internas y externas del nacionalismo chileno' ['The problem of identifying the other: internal and external frontiers of Chilean nationalism']. Fourth Session, Study Group: Circulation of information, objects and people, History Institute, Pontifical Catholic University of Valparaiso, August 2016.
- 'Crítica y alternativa nacionalista al modelo educacional decimonónico. 1900-1930', ['Nationalist critique and alternative to the nineteenth century educational model. 1900-1930'] First Colloquium: Early Twentieth Century University Challenges, Department of Humanistic Studies, Federico Santa Maria Technical University, December 2015
- 'El carácter nacional visto desde el extranjero. El rol de D.F. Sarmiento y J.B. Alberdi en la prensa porteña de mediados del siglo XIX' ['The national character viewed from the foreigner. The role of D.F. Sarmiento and J.B. Alberdi in the Valparaiso press during the mid-nineteenth century'], Foundational Times Congress: Nation, Identities and discursive practices in Latin America, Andres Bello University (UNAB), December 2011.
Scholarships and prizes
Awarded the 'Becas Chile' scholarship, given by the Advanced Human Capital Program of the National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research (CONICYT), 2016-2020.