Julietta Steinhauer joined UCL in September 2014 and is a Lecturer (Teaching) in Hellenistic History. Her research focuses on religion, religious minorities and migration in the Aegean during the Hellenistic period.
Julietta is a research associate at the Institute of Classical Studies, London, a WIRe fellow and a researcher of the ‘Localism and religion in Ancient Greek’ project at the university of Münster where she is working on her current project on migration and local religion.
Julietta is interested in receiving research proposals from prospective students on topics including Greek religion, migration, gender, and (in)equality in the Hellenistic period.
Current students: Karolina Frank, 'Ancient Greek Oracular Divination: The Socio-Economic Context of Oracular Consultations'; Emily James, ‘Tanagra figurines in their ritual context’; Simon Bralee, ‘Anubis outside Egypt’; Rebecca Daly ‘Women on Kos and their roles in Koan cults’.
- Steinhauer, J., ‘Religious practice and the Delian neighbourhoods’, in: RRE 6, 2020, pp. 138-158
- Steinhauer, J., ‘Dionysian associations and the Bacchanalian affair’, in: F. Mac Góráin (ed.) Dionysus in Rome (Trends in Classics Supplementary Volume series, De Gruyter) 2020, pp. 133-155.
- Steinhauer, J., ‘Socio-religious networks of ‘foreign’ women in Hellenistic Delos and beyond’, in: M. Dana (et al.) La cité interconnectée, Bordeaux 2019, pp. 223-237.
- Steinhauer, J., 'Osiris mystes und Isis orgia. Gab es 'Mysterien' der ägyptischen Gottheiten?' in: C. Witschel and J. Quack (eds), Religious Flows in the Roman Empire - the Expansion of Oriental Cults (Isis, Mithras, Iuppiter Dolichenus) from East to West and Back Again, Heidelberg 2016, pp.47-78.
- Steinhauer, J., Religious Associations in the Post-Classical Polis (Potsdamer Altertumswissenschaftliche Beiträge), Stuttgart 2014.
- Steinhauer, J., 'Die Kultgemeinschaften der Ägyptischen Gottheiten in Griechenland', in M. Öhler (ed.) Aposteldekret und Antikes Vereinswesen: Gemeinschaft und ihre Ordnung, Tübingen 2011, pp. 186-205.
For a full list of publications, see Julietta's Iris profile.
- Interview about the Elgin Marbles, ITV News, October 2014
- BBC program on the Eleusinian Mysteries, BBC World Service, January 2021
- Sources for Greek History (undergraduate course)
- The Romans and their past (undergraduate course)
- Emotions and the Ancient Greeks (Second year research seminar)
- Slavery in the Classical world (Advanced seminar)
- Lived Religion in Hellenistic Greece (MA elective module)
- Hellenistic Encounters with Egypt (MA elective module)