These modules, aimed at second-year students and normally taught by weekly 2-hour seminars (of c. 15 students), typically examine a particular historical theme in detail.
Assessment is now two coursework essays of 2,500 words each (50%) and one 3-hour examination (50%). As with History Survey modules, teachers may require students to make other unassessed contributions. Second-year students may take a module of this type from the menu of ‘Group 2’ modules available from other colleges.
Please note that one-term only affiliate students take the 15-credit versions of Thematic modules. The assessment pattern for these half-year versions are listed on the UCL Module Catalogue pages, the main 30cr versions are hyperlinked below.
The modules below are due to run in the 2021/22 academic year:
Please note: This module description is accurate at the time of publication. Amendments may be made prior to the start of the academic year.
- HIST0676 A Global History of Socialist Ideas, 1800-1980
- HIST0087 Africa, Decolonization and Internationalism
- HIST0067 American History in Hollywood Film
- HIST0019 An Economic History of Ancient Greece
- HIST0023 Asia, the Aegean, Europe: Dividing the World in Ancient Greece
- HIST0470 Crown Church and Estates in Central Europe 1500-1700
- HIST0399 Emergency History: A Natural History of Humanity for the Present
- HIST0674 Enlightenments and Revolutions
- HIST0476 Media, Culture and Society in the Soviet Union from Stalin to 1991
- HIST0812 Native North America, c. 1600-1800
- HIST0474 Poland and Lithuania Transformed, 1569-1923
- HIST0811 Protest and Policing in Modern Britain, c.1715-1958
- HIST0051 Religious Reformation and Popular Piety, 1450-1650
- HIST0015 Roman Democracy: Myth or Reality?
- HIST0031 Rome AD 300-1000. Portraits of a City, Reflections of a Changing World
- HIST0804 Sin in the Middle Ages: c.400 -c.1550
- HIST0081 Social Change, New Social Movements, and Politics in Britain After 1945
- HIST0472 Successors to the Habsburgs: East-Central Europe, 1914-1945
- HIST0079 Superpower: A Global History of the United States, 1898-1989
- HIST0083 The Cultural Cold War in Europe, 1917-1989
- HIST0088 The Disunited States: Contested Visions of America, 1775-1869
- HIST0039 The Industrial Revolution in Britain
- HIST0644 The Rise and Fall of Yugoslavia
- HIST0073 War, Rebellion, and Social Discontent in Modern China