UCL has successfully achieved its first Ska Gold certificate for its refurbishment project in the Whittington Hospital. This rating represents environmental best practice in terms of reducing waste, using more sustainable materials, installing highly efficient lighting, and water saving toilets. More...
Published: Mar 27, 2014 12:31:00 PM
Between Tuesday 18th, until Friday 28th February, the member of staff that lists the most items* on UCL's WARPit site will win some brilliant Fairtrade prizes (as well as the knowledge that you’re making a real reduction to our environmental impact!) More...
Published: Feb 18, 2014 10:38:00 AM
Come along to UCLU and Green UCL’s Green Volunteering Fair, 6-8pm on Wednesday 12th February 2014 to find out about a huge variety of ways to make a positive environmental impact. More...
Published: Feb 7, 2014 10:46:00 AM
The latest results of the Green Impact are in! As always, big congratulations to all teams involved - we have a record number of teams taking part and nearly 600 actions taken as a result of the programme so far. More...
Published: Feb 6, 2014 11:35:00 AM
UCL Green Week 2013 - a round up
Green Week took place on the 15th-17th October 2013. This year, we explored different ways that you can make a positive environmental impact during your time at UCL.
Tuesday 15th October
- NETpositive is a brand new online platform for UCL students. It's all about connecting students with opportunities to make a positive social, environmental and economic impact during their time at UCL.
- To celebrate its launch, we placed NETpositive 'speechbubbles' in unusual locations all around campus and ran an event in the Main Quad where students posed in our NETpositive photobooth and wrote their pledges for positive action on our pledge wall.
Environment and Ethics Forum
- UCLU Environment and Ethics ran a forum to all students to meet, network and discuss plans for the year.
Wednesday 16th October
Get Cycling Day
- In the Main Quad we ran a whole range of cycling activities. There were opportunities to find out more about Camden's Stravel scheme that rewards cycling with brilliant prizes, free cycle maintenance from Dr Bike, free bike security tagging by local police and the 'exchanging places' experience, which gave staff and students the opportunity to get into the cab of a HGV lorry and see what visibility they have of cyclists and pedestrians.
Thursday 17th October
Green Impact drop-in sessions
- Green Impact is an environmental accreditation and award scheme that's all about engaging staff and students to make a positive environmental impact in their department. You can find out more about Green Impact here.
- We ran drop-in sessions to give staff and students a chance to find out more about how they can use Green Impact in their department and ask questions about the scheme.
Student Switch Off introduction and training
- Student Switch Off ran fun and interactive workshops providing students with skills in communication, social media and environmental campaigning. They looked at ‘Student Switch Off’ (www.facebook.com/uclstudentswitchoff) as a practical example of how to create behaviour change and planned how students can help their hall win this year’s energy saving competition.