- ABOUT US
- GET INVOLVED
- CASE STUDIES
- OUR COMMITMENTS
- ACCESS GREEN IMPACT
The recently-refurbished Cruciform Hub has received a RICS Ska Gold award for its environmental credentials, which include energy efficient lighting throughout, use of sustainable timber and 99% of all waste generated by the project avoiding landfill. More...
Published: Mar 25, 2015 1:01:00 PM
Louis's 'Gaia Gallery' project is based in a heritage canal boat and aims to create the UK’s first entirely off-grid touring event space. The project is volunteer-led and has been shaped by a carbon neutral design that incorporates alternative technologies, reclaimed materials and natural building methods. The barge is also currently being converted to operate on recycled vegetable oil, further improving the impact of the project. More...
Published: Mar 18, 2015 1:17:00 PM
After the success of our first rides, we're running
more guided cycle tours around London for UCL students. All abilities are welcome,
whether you're a cycling fanatic
or a total beginner. Even if you don't have a bike, don't worry; we
can provide one.
Published: Mar 16, 2015 10:04:00 AM
The results of Green Impact (so far) are in! Huge congratulations to
everyone involved for a high number of actions taken
already. Green Impact veterans PALS are in the lead, but there's still plenty of time to catch up and challenge them. And don’t be put off if your team hasn’t taken many actions yet - there are still almost three months to go until the final deadline for this year's programme (on 25/05/15).
Published: Mar 6, 2015 4:50:00 PM
Environmental Sustainability is the responsibility of all members of the UCL community, including students, staff and persons working on our behalf. The UCL White Paper 2011-2021 sets out a clear vision for UCL and highlights Environmental Sustainability as a core value, seeking to:
- Achieve maximum positive social, environmental and economic benefit
- Conduct itself ethically and fairly, and in an environmentally sustainable manner, locally, nationally and globally
- Improve the sustainability of the UCL estate, and its use
- Seek to continuously improve its environmental and sustainability performance
- Enable and support UCL staff and students, through action, critical discourse, research and study, to contribute towards resolving global environmental challenges
UCL is committed to delivering the following objectives across its UK operations:
- To create a campus which supports UCL’s academic, research and enterprise activities in a sustainable way
- To enable, empower and support all UCL communities to address our environmental sustainability impacts
- To provide the education, advancement, dissemination and application of sustainable development
- To maximise the wider impact of UCLs environmental sustainability activities at local, regional, national and international level through collaboration, partnership and communications
- To become a leader across the HE sector in terms of environmental sustainability
This includes the implementation of an Environmental Sustainability Strategy, which recognises both our local and global impacts, and sets targets against each of our core objectives, ensuring that UCL is working to:
- Prevent pollution
- Comply with legal and other requirements
- Reduce carbon emissions
- Reduce water use
- Minimise waste generation and sustainable procurement
- Sustainably develop its estate
- Reduce the impacts of travel and transport
Contribute to local biodiversity
The Policy and Strategy will be implemented through the development, delivery and continuous improvement of the EcoCampus Environmental Sustainability Management System (ESMS) which will lead to certification under ISO14001. Departments will be responsible for ensuring adequate arrangements for environmental management in their area.
This Policy will be reviewed annually as part of the ESMS annual review.
UCL’s progress against these objectives can be found in Green UCL's latest Annual Report.
Related documents and information:
Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (December 2014)