Green UCL News publication
- Rollapaluza League Table from Welcome Fair
- BioRegional present One Planet Living in Topic Lunch Series
- GREEN UCL at Welcome Fair
- Green Impact UCL 2012/13 Now Running!
- Green Week UCL Poster Exhibition - Abstracts Online
- Green Week UCL is here
- Green Week Day 2 - Materials
- Green Week UCL Poster Competition Winners
- It's TRANSPORT day of Green Week UCL!
- Green Week UCL - How did it go?
- First Forum of Green Innovation UCL
- Green Innovation UCL is running
- Topic Lunch Presentation "Urbanisation in China"
- UCL Environmental Sustainability Strategy Consultation
- "Mapping Personal Thermal Comfort" - 26th November 1-2pm
- "Cycling, walking or driving – what are the risks and benefits?" by Jenny Mindell (UCL Epidemiology & Public Health)
- MODO and Green UCL Boot Sale
- Green Impact UCL League Table End of November
- Apply for UCLU Green Impact Special Awards
- Green Impact League Table December 17th
- Green Impact League Table January 21st
- Free IEMA accredited environmental audit training and experience for UCL students
- Cycle Safety Day - Thursday 31st January
- Students Switch Off to Success
- Green Impact League Table February 22nd
- Green Impact League Table February 22nd
- Become an Ambassador for the Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Champions Forum and Training Sessions
- Green Impact Award April 24th 2013
- HEFCE NUS Fund
- Public Lecture
- Earn rewards for cycling with pleasecycle
- Cycling Ambassador Bike days in July
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for Sustainability Celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
UCL's President & Provost, Professor Graham Hart, Dean of the Faculty of Population Health Sciences and the Sustainability team paid tribute to the remarkable efforts of the UCL community in tackling our environmental impacts this week at the Green Impact Award Ceremony. More...
Published: Jun 11, 2014 3:03:00 PM
Come to the South Quad for: More...
Published: May 12, 2014 12:41:00 PM
Congratulations to everyone who joined in with the Big Easter Switch Off. More...
Published: May 1, 2014 11:54:00 AM
UCL has successfully achieved its first Ska Gold certificate for its refurbishment project in the Whittington Hospital. This rating represents environmental best practice in terms of reducing waste, using more sustainable materials, installing highly efficient lighting, and water saving toilets. More...
Published: Mar 27, 2014 12:31:00 PM
Between Tuesday 18th, until Friday 28th February, the member of staff that lists the most items* on UCL's WARPit site will win some brilliant Fairtrade prizes (as well as the knowledge that you’re making a real reduction to our environmental impact!) More...
Published: Feb 18, 2014 10:38:00 AM
Students Switch Off to Success
8 February 2013
Students living in UCL halls have made a great start in the Student Switch Off energy-saving campaign, taking simple actions to reduce their carbon footprint and helping their hall in the competition to save the most and win an end of year party.
Over October and November the leading residence Frances Gardner reduced its electricity consumption by 6% compared to its average use in previous years and across the five participating halls (James Lighthill, Astor College, Langton Close, Frances Gardner and Schafer House) 7766 Kwh and 4.19 tonnes of C02 have already been saved, the equivalent of boiling nearly 250,000 cups of tea!
Saving are the results of students engaging in a range of activities, with over 200 signing up to receive regular energy saving tips by email, over 150 having a go at our online climate change quiz and over 200 attending pizza parties that launched the campaign at the beginning of the year.
Forty students also attended a volunteer training session learning how to use peer to peer communications and social media to create environmental behaviour change. They have taken these skills back to their halls to get their friends to start taking actions like putting lids on pans when cooking and only boiling the water they need for their tea and coffee. Representatives from Student Switch Off have also visited the halls to chat to students and keep awareness high, while throughout the year there have been lots of opportunities to everybody to win prizes as rewards for their energy saving efforts.
Tapping into the power of social media is a key part of the campaign. Over 100 students have joining our facebook page - www.facebook.com/uclstudentswitchoff – where they share photos of themselves saving energy in return for cinema tickets, free bowling and probably the most popular prize, tubs of Ben and Jerry’s! Over 100 photos have been shared, which have gathered over 300 ‘likes’. As people like and share the photos and posts the energy saving messages have reached to over 2000 people across facebook.
The campaign continues until the end of the academic year and the other halls have the chance to put in an extra energy saving effort and try and overtake Frances Gardner be crowned the energy saving champions.
Jesse Scharf, Student Switch Off Project Officer, said “I’ve been really impressed by the enthusiasm that UCL students have shown in getting involved. It provides a heartening example of the responsible attitude the next generation of young adults have towards our environment”.
Pictured: Susie Woodbridge of Langton Close wraps up warm.