Green UCL News publication
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for sustainability celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
- Students: give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green UCL Annual Report published
- New bike racks installed around UCL
- UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
- A new approach to recycling at UCL
- Will your department take part in UCL Green Impact?
- UCL's response to Transport for London's proposed Cycle Superhighways
- Gearing up for a new year
- Become an ambassador for the Mayor of London's Low Carbon Entrepreneur
- UCL backs proposed Cycle Superhighways
- UCL achieves Highly Commended for Sustainable Facilities Management
- The Sustainability Team is recruiting!
- Free hydrogen-powered mulled apple juice and switching off stickers
- Cut down on waste and get an extra £200 in your pocket
- The Christmas Switch Off: your impact
- Free environmental auditor training for students and staff
- Pop-up cycling cafes from London By Cycle
- UCL's People & Planet University League 2015 score
- Share your images of sustainability
- Attend the VSU Green Volunteering Fair
- Celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight 2015
- Come for a free cycling adventure around London
- Green Impact Spring League Table
- Free cycle tours of London (bikes provided!)
- UCL student a finalist in Mayor of London's Low Carbon competition
- Cruciform Hub awarded Gold for green credentials
- Design and create a garden to boost biodiversity at UCL
The Sustainability Team and UCL IoE Gardening
Project are offering staff and students the chance to design and create
one of four biodiversity-boosting raised beds in Sarah's Garden on the roof
terrace at the UCL Institute of Education.
Published: Mar 31, 2015 2:26:00 PM
The recently-refurbished Cruciform Hub has received a RICS Ska Gold award for its environmental credentials, which include energy efficient lighting throughout, use of sustainable timber and 99% of all waste generated by the project avoiding landfill. More...
Published: Mar 25, 2015 1:01:00 PM
Louis's 'Gaia Gallery' project is based in a heritage canal boat and aims to create the UK’s first entirely off-grid touring event space. The project is volunteer-led and has been shaped by a carbon neutral design that incorporates alternative technologies, reclaimed materials and natural building methods. The barge is also currently being converted to operate on recycled vegetable oil, further improving the impact of the project. More...
Published: Mar 18, 2015 1:17:00 PM
After the success of our first rides, we're running
more guided cycle tours around London for UCL students. All abilities are welcome,
whether you're a cycling fanatic
or a total beginner. Even if you don't have a bike, don't worry; we
can provide one.
Published: Mar 16, 2015 10:04:00 AM
UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
27 March 2014
UCL has successfully achieved its first Ska Gold certificate for its refurbishment project in the Whittington Hospital. This rating represents environmental best practice in terms of reducing waste, using more sustainable materials, installing highly efficient lighting, and water saving toilets.
The Ska rating is an environmental assessment method, benchmark and standard for non-domestic fit-outs, led and owned by RICS.
Ska featured in the Government's Low Carbon Action Plan and supports UCL’s plans to reduce the environmental impact of its buildings. Whittington Hospital and UCL have achieved the Gold certificate (Ska's highest rating) for the joint refurbishment of the Hospital's Highgate Wing.
Stephanie Chesters, UCL Sustainability Manager, commended the project, saying "this rating shows that sustainability considerations have been incorporated into every stage of this project, from design to handover. We hope that this is the first of many Gold-rated projects at UCL".