Green UCL News publication
- Green Impact 2013-14 is now live!
- UCL wins Green Gown Award for Technical Innovation
- UCLoo Festival (Nov 19th - Dec 3rd)
- UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
- Mayor's Low Carbon Prize
- Green Impact end of term league table
- Give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green Impact February League Table
- Green Volunteering Fair
- WARPit Competition Now On
- UCL achieves Ska Gold rating for Whittington Hospital refurbishment
- Big Easter Switch Off: the results!
- Get Cycling Event: Wednesday 14th May, South Quad
- UCL action for sustainability celebrated at the Green Impact Awards
- Students: give your feedback and get a £10 Waterstones voucher
- Green UCL Annual Report published
- New bike racks installed around UCL
- UCL engineers work with contractors to boost biodiversity
- A new approach to recycling at UCL
- Will your department take part in UCL Green Impact?
- UCL's response to Transport for London's proposed Cycle Superhighways
- Gearing up for a new year
- Become an ambassador for the Mayor of London's Low Carbon Entrepreneur
- UCL backs proposed Cycle Superhighways
- UCL achieves Highly Commended for Sustainable Facilities Management
- The Sustainability Team is recruiting!
- Free hydrogen-powered mulled apple juice and switching off stickers
- Cut down on waste and get an extra £200 in your pocket
- The Christmas Switch Off: your impact
- Free environmental auditor training for students and staff
- Pop-up cycling cafes from London By Cycle
- UCL's People & Planet University League 2015 score
- Share your images of sustainability
- Attend the VSU Green Volunteering Fair
- Celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight 2015
- Come for a free cycling adventure around London
- Green Impact Spring League Table
- Free cycle tours of London (bikes provided!)
- UCL student a finalist in Mayor of London's Low Carbon competition
- Cruciform Hub awarded Gold for green credentials
- Design and create a garden to boost biodiversity at UCL
- UCL IOE Biodiversity Garden Competition winners announced
- UCL's Sustainability Annual Report: our progress
- Free IEMA Approved environmental auditor training for students
- Be part of Junk in the Trunk
- Urban Alchemy
- UCLIC launches hunt to find technological solutions to green challenges
- UCL launches platform to make energy data available to all
- UCL a finalist in the 2015 Green Gown Awards
- Sodexo and UCL awarded Silver Food for Life Catering Mark
- Sustainability excellence showcased at the UCL Green Impact Awards
- 'Whole Earth?' environmental exhibition comes to Gordon Square Gardens
- All departments encouraged to take part in UCL's Green Impact programme
Green Impact, UCL's annual sustainability programme is now live for the 2015-16 period, and all departments and divisions are encouraged to take part. More...
Published: Sep 28, 2015 2:52:00 PM
A new free exhibition will run in Gordon Square Gardens from the 21st September - 16th October, tackling the environmental challenges we face in a changing and increasingly interconnected world. More...
Published: Sep 23, 2015 10:00:00 AM
UCL action for sustainability was celebrated this week at the Sustainability Team's annual Green Impact Awards. Vice-Provost Professor Anthony Smith, Professor Graham Hart, Dean of the Faculty of Population Health Sciences and the Sustainability Team paid tribute to the remarkable efforts of staff and students in creating a more sustainable UCL. More...
Published: Sep 17, 2015 11:26:00 AM
Marking a commitment to providing healthy and sustainable food, Sodexo has achieved the Silver Food for Life Catering Mark at UCL. The university's catering partner since 2014,
Sodexo serves over 26,000 students across UCL's Bloomsbury campus.
Published: Aug 11, 2015 12:17:00 PM
UCL achieves gold standard in environmental audit
28 November 2013
UCL has been awarded Gold EcoCampus certification following an audit of its Environmental Sustainability Management System. Currently used in nearly half of Russell Group universities, EcoCampus is a leading tool to assess environmental management in Higher Education.
Teams from Estates, Facilities, Geography and Chemistry all took part, with many more contributing to the development of environmental controls and improvements to performance.
Achieving Gold is one of many objectives of the UCL Environmental Sustainability Strategy for this year and is a huge achievement. We’d like to give a massive thanks to everyone who has played a part in getting us this far.
Building on our achievements
Environmental management is all about finding ways to identify, evaluate, manage and improve environmental performance. And improving this performance needs the involvement of everyone at UCL. It's important to keep in mind that retaining awards like EcoCampus Gold require departments across the university to be able to provide proof of their environmental performance in the event of an audit.
Departments can work to improve their environmental management though UCL’s Green Impact programme. This programme breaks environmental improvements down into incremental, participatory and fun steps (and also provides the necessary evidence in the event of an audit). Achieving institution-wide improvements to our performance will be essential in moving us up to a Platinum-level award in the future. And Green Impact is a great way to contribute to this in your department.
We’ve already come a long way this year. And although we’re aware that there’s still a long way to go, achieving this Gold award gives us the confidence that we’re on the right track. Thanks again!