Be part of the Big Christmas Switch Off
On Christmas day alone, UCL spends over £20,000 on energy. Help UCL to avoid wasting carbon, energy and money this Christmas by pledging to switch off lights, appliances and equipment over the holidays and win £100 worth of vouchers to spend on energy saving products or eco treats for your department.
Last year, students and staff helped to save almost 500,000 kWh of energy by switching off. That's a reduction of 20% on UCL's usual energy use, and would be enough electricity to keep the lights on a Christmas tree running for over 1,000 years.
This year we want to save even more! The department or halls of residence with the highest proportion of staff and students pledging to switch off will win a £100 voucher for Ecotopia, an online shop for energy saving gadgets and eco treats.
We will also reward the department or halls which saves the most amount of energy over the Christmas period at the UCL Sustainability Awards. The halls of residence which saves the most amount of energy throughout the year will also win a Ben & Jerry's ice-cream party. So make sure you get switching.
There are checklists, posters and resources as well as live energy data to display, to help you save as much energy as possible, and we're also offering free timers to departments to switch equipment and appliances off automatically.
How to get involved
- Pledge to switch off. Use the form (left) to record your pledge now!
- Get your department on board. This could be as simple as emailing members of your department highlighting the Switch Off. Chat to your Departmental Administrator about how to do this. You can also find resources and posters and live energy data here. If you would like to display this information on screens within your department please contact us.
- Tweet and post updates about the Big Christmas Switch Off. Use the hashtag #UCLswitchoff.
- Claim free equipment timers. Please note: these timers must be for use in your department or division, in support of your work at UCL. Email the Sustainability Team to discuss how many you'd like.
- Switch Off. On the day that UCL closes for the holidays (or you leave your residence) use our checklists to ensure that as much as possible is switched off.
- Notify us. If you know of any unnecessary energy wastage within your department or halls, please email our new energy mailbox.