- ABOUT US
- GET INVOLVED
- CASE STUDIES
- OUR COMMITMENTS
Join the London by Bike team on a free cycling adventure around London; discover new routes, boost your cycling confidence and enjoy a free lunch or dinner on us when you finish.
Published: Feb 16, 2015 10:27:00 AM
Fairtrade Fortnight is 23rd February - 8th March, and all staff and students are encouraged to get involved.
Published: Feb 10, 2015 1:15:00 PM
UCLU Volunteering Services Unit present the Green Volunteering Fair. Come along to find out about a world of opportunities to get involved. More...
Published: Feb 9, 2015 9:41:00 AM
Green UCL is gathering your interpretations and visualisations of key sustainability themes for their Annual Report. Winning entries will receive a £50 prize and coverage in this widely-read report. More...
Published: Jan 28, 2015 2:42:00 PM
Staff Green Champions
After recent changes to the UCL academic manual, it is now stipulated that all departments should have a member of staff charged with environmental responsibilities. And having a Green Champion is an excellent way to achieve this. Staff Green Champions support UCL’s environmental sustainability agenda and help improve UCL’s green performance. The role is flexible and varied, but as a staff Green Champion, you could:
- Make sure that all new staff and students complete Green UCL's Environmental Awareness moodle course as part of their induction. This is an essential introduction to the key concepts of sustainability and what these mean for UCL.
- Ensure that your department takes part in UCL's Green Impact programme, and help with its delivery.
- Ensure that departmental colleagues are aware of your contact details and role as Green Champion.
- Encourage and gather ideas and feedback from departmental colleagues on ways to improving your department's environmental performance.
- Use social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to help spread awareness about Green UCL events, programmes and initiatives.
- Explain new initiatives (such as recycling bins) to colleagues and seek to elicit their co-operation and support.
- Attend and participate in forums and meetings of the Green Champions’ network.
- Encourage green procurement by consulting with departmental purchasing officers (e.g. using recycled paper office products, purchasing A* energy rated electrical appliances, reducing the number of printers by encouraging printer sharing).
- Liaise with the departmental Estates representative to ensure that maintenance issues are reported and resolved promptly (e.g. faulty heating, dripping taps).
Become a staff Green Champion
If you'd like to become a Green Champion, or if you have any questions about the role, please contact Lead Green Champion Janet Hope. You can also sign up to the Green Champions mailing list to get updates and information about the work of Green Champions across the university.