Graduation is a time to celebrate your academic success alongside family, friends and peers. UCL Graduation Ceremonies are arranged so students graduate with their Faculty and programme of study.
When students are invited to apply to attend their ceremonies through email invitations they will be given details of the provisional date and time of their graduation ceremony. This date will remain provisional until after the ticket application deadline when the schedule is confirmed.
The 2019 UCL Graduation Ceremonies will be held in the Summer months of July, August and September. Eligible students will be contacted with information about their provisional date and time towards the end of February 2019.
- Not attending
You do not need to attend a Graduation Ceremony in order to receive your degree certificate and transcript. These will be sent to you by post to the contact address you provided on Portico approximately 8-10 weeks after you have received confirmation of your award.
UCL do not graduate students in absentia. It is not compulsory to attend a UCL Graduation Ceremony in order to obtain your award. You can register your non-attendance on Portico once you have recieved your invitation.
Degree certificates and transcripts will be sent to you by post to the contact address you provided on Portico approximately 8-10 weeks after you have received confirmation of your award.
- Overseas Graduation
The information on these web pages relates to the UCL (London) Graduation Ceremonies. If you are attending a ceremony at an overseas campus please refer to the following websites for further information:
If you have any questions about the China graduation celebration please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- What happens on the day
Planning Your Day (a suggested schedule)
Students are strongly advised to plan their day so as to allow sufficient time to enjoy all aspects of their graduation.
10:00am ceremony 2:00pm ceremony 6:00pm ceremony Students must collect their tickets and register at the Registration Desk on Level 1 Open from 7:30am Open from 11:30am Open from 3:30pm Collect academic robes from J. Wippell & Co. Ltd on Level 2, Blue side Open from 7:30am Open from 11:30am Open from 3:30pm Have your photograph taken by the professional photographers in studios on Level 1 Open from 7:30am Open from 11:30am Open from 3:30pm Students take their seats in the auditorium To be seated by 10:00am (auditorium opens at 9:30am) To be seated by 2:00pm (auditorium opens at 1:30pm) To be seated by 6:00pm (auditorium opens at 5:30pm) Registration closes 9:50am 1:50pm 5:50pm Guests take their seats in the auditorium To be seated by 10:00am (auditorium opens at 9:30am) To be seated by 2:00pm (auditorium opens at 1:30pm) To be seated by 6:00pm (auditorium opens at 5:30pm) Graduation Ceremony Running time 10:00am - 11:30am (approximately) Running time 2:00pm - 3:30pm (approximately) Running time 6:00pm - 7:30pm Reception on Level 4, Blue or Green side Make your way to your reception where refreshments will be served for approximately 1 hour immediately after the ceremony Make your way to your reception where refreshments will be served for approximately 1 hour immediately after the ceremony Make your way to your reception where refreshments will be served for approximately 1 hour immediately after the ceremony Return academic dress (robe) to J. Wippell & Co. Ltd. Robe Return point on Level 2, Blue side Return by 3:00pm Return by 5:30pm Return by 9:00pm
- The Ceremony and Reception
Morning ceremonies will begin promptly at 10:00am, afternoon ceremonies will begin promptly at 2:00pm and evening ceremonies promptly at 6.00pm. Please ensure you switch off all mobile phones during the ceremony. The ceremony will run as follows:
- Academic procession
- Opening address from the Provost/Vice-Provost
- Student procession (you will be led by one of our ushers in the correct presentation order to enter the stage. Once on stage you will be announced and walk across the stage where the Provost/Vice-Provost will congratulate you with a handshake. You will then be guided back to your seat via the rear of the auditorium. If you would prefer not to shake hands please contact email@example.com)
- End of ceremony - students will be asked to join the Academic Procession to process out of the auditorium. We ask guests to wait until all of the students have left the auditorium before they leave to join them at the reception.
The ceremony will last approximately 1.5 hours and you are asked to remain in the auditorium for the entire ceremony to avoid disturbing other guests or disrupting the ceremony proceedings.
- Students and guests sit separately. Students must sit in the seat allocated to them on their ticket. Not sitting in your allocated seat will mean that you disrupt the ceremony and your name may not be read out.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to admit latecomers once the ceremony has begun
- Unauthorised filming of the graduation ceremony is not permitted
- Please do not use flash photography during the ceremony
- UCL reserves the right to refuse admission or re-admission to any student or guest to the Graduation Ceremonies and receptions.
- Cloakroom facilities are managed by the Southbank Centre and are available at a charge. We encourage students and guests to refrain from bringing large items.
Following the graduation ceremony students and guests will be asked to make their way to the reception where drinks and canapés will be served.
The reception will include a variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and a selection of canapés. We do try to provide a menu that is as inclusive as possible. Waiting staff can assist you with your selections.