Financial Authorisation Process for Recruitment
Points to note:
- All: If a post has not been advertised within three months of the financial approval number being issued, it will need to be re-activated. Recruiting Managers should contact the PS / School Finance Director to request this.
- Schools: Deans approval must be sought before a request is forwarded to the School Finance Director.
- Schools: Please contact your Research Awards Administrator in FBA for information about posts fully funded by research grants or contracts.
- When financial approval has been received, it is good practice for all recruiting managers to check the Redeployment Register for potential redeployees. All vacancies (including grant funded positions) must be advertised on the internal recruitment site prior to external advertising and recruiting managers will need to consider applications made by redeployees prior to the vacancy being advertised externally.
- Redeployment System
- Redeployment Policy
- HR Contact Directory
Financial Recruitment Approval Policy
All posts with the following exceptions:
- Posts fully funded by research grants or contracts
- Student assistants for one off events
- Fixed-term and open-ended PGTA and TF posts <£10,000 per annum to be charged to an approved Departmental Cash Allocation Part-Time Teaching Budget
In scope are posts funded by donations, HEFCE special initiatives and Provost’s Strategic Development Fund.
Agency staff - where we are already using a temp or agency worker to back fill a vacant post or provide short term extra resource these can be extended without approval. Where it is a new arrangement this will need to go through the approval process – although HR will not need to be involved. Controlling this will need to be done locally but central finance will be monitoring agency transactions post event.
Requests for posts below Grade 9 should be made to the relevant School / PS Finance Director. When they have approved the request it should be forwarded to the office of the Director of Finance and Business Affairs for a financial approval number, which will be generated and emailed back to the Finance Director, with a copy to HR.
For posts at Grade 9 and above, the School / PS Finance Director should forward requests directly to the Director of Finance and Business Affairs. When the request has been approved the School / PS Finance Director will be notified of the financial approval number by email, with a copy to HR.
All recruitment requests will be allocated an individual financial approval number, deviations from this allocation will be considered on a case by case basis. A log will be kept in FBA of all approved recruitment requests.
Once the financial approval number has been issued and forwarded to the recruiting manager, it is good practice for all recruiting managers to check the Redeployment Register for potential redeployees. All vacancies (including grant funded positions) must be advertised on the internal recruitment site prior to external advertising and recruiting managers will need to consider applications made by redeployees prior to the vacancy being advertised externally.
Issues to consider when making requests
- Financial situation of department / area concerned particularly trends for Staff: student ratios, Academic staff: Support staff, Financial position of department, Income per £100 of costs. Trend wise are these all going in the right direction?
- Has this area made its improvement targets?
- How does the post holder’s work directly support UCL’s strategic priorities and plans.
- What options have been explored in terms of: job content; review or redesign; workload re-allocation within the team; business process review; restructuring; resource sharing between departments or the use of external resources to reduce overhead costs to UCL.
- Could this role be undertaken by a student working temporarily for the coming year while workloads are reviewed and adjusted?
- Is this a new post or filling an existing post – if existing how long has it been vacant and why does it need to be filled now?
- Are there any implications on space/estates costs?
Requests need to be succinct as possible whilst relaying the pertinent information.
There may be occasions where a vacancy is processed and advertised, but it subsequently becomes clear that it might be a suitable redeployment opportunity, after all. This is inevitable in a small number of cases, given the range of restructuring exercises taking place across the institution at any one time and with different timelines for consultation and implementation. In these circumstances, the HR Consultancy lead will contact the Department/Faculty asking to put the recruitment on hold, pending prior consideration of one or more redeployees.
For any HR related queries , please contact Charles Oboh on x41274 or the relevant HR Officer for your department.
Page last modified on 06 feb 15 11:35