Gianfranco Gliozzo from Catania, Italy, started his education with a Masters Degree
in Architectural Engineering. Using his GIS software expertise
Gianfranco supported several spatial planning research projects both in
Catania and in Wageningen (NL). Afterwards he attended an MSc in
Geographical Information Management and Applications held by four Dutch
The research project focuses on the detection of the link between society and environment.
The immaterial links that relates humans with their environment can be traced back using manifestations of care and interest.
IT technologies enables to elicit immaterial feelings through digital place-based footprints.
Gianfranco is an EngD Virtual Environments Imaging and Visualization (VEIV) student and his research is supported by the
Zoological Society of London (ZSL).
He is interested in the relation between citizens and their environment. Hence the tailoring of analysis techniques to detect local grounded knowledge, rooted in material and immaterial volatile elements. Therefore his current research is imbued with spatial and environmental planning and policy, geography, history, linked data, ecology, ICT.
Citizen science, ecosystem services, planning and policy, local, time framed
e-mail: g [dot] gliozzo [at] ucl [dot] ac [dot] uk
Tel: +44 (0) 7427182059
LinkedIn: Click here
- Gliozzo, G. La Rosa, D. 2004 “La percezione della sicurezza dello spazio pubblico: un contributo applicativo dei GIS” in MondoGIS 45 november/december 2004. Paper presented at Geoesplora 2004, Rome.
- Gliozzo, G. (2013) “Crowdsourced geodata and the semantic web: a use case” paper presented in GISRUK 3rd -5th April 2013, Liverpool.
- Gliozzo, G., Vitos, M., & Stevens, M. (2012). “From education to action: How technology enables public participation in the context of environmental conservation.” Presented at: Conference on Public Participation in Scientific Research (PPSR2012). Portland USA.
- Carsjens, G-J Gliozzo G. 2003 “Spatial analysis of pig farming in Wannian county” Wageningen, The Netherlands : Land-Use Planning Group, Wageningen University, 2003 (Integrated waste management in Wannian County, Jiangxi Province, People's Republic of China).
- Gliozzo, G. (2010). “Bridging the gap between user generated spatial content and the semantic web” (MSc dissertation, in Geographical Information Management and Applications, Delft University of technology).