Dr Vyron Antoniou
Vyron (Byron) Antoniou is a Major serving in the Hellenic Military Geographical Service, where he is head of the Remote Sensing & Photogrammetry Department. He has studied Surveying and Rural Engineering at National Technical University of Athens (NTUA, Greece) graduating first among his peers. He also holds an MSc in Geoinformation from NTUA.
In 2011 he was awarded a PhD from UCL (UK) in Geomatics. His research focused on the analysis of the phenomenon of user generated spatial content and its challenges for mapping agencies. Research was made on the quality of the data generated, the behavior of the users and the spatial dimension of the phenomenon.
His research interests are in GIS, spatial databases, spatial analysis, Web mapping applications, VGI, spatial data quality, OGC specifications, ISO standards, XML technologies and Web 2.0 technologies.
VGI, spatial databases, spatial data quality, Web mapping, Web 2.0
Tel: +30 6972771938
- Antoniou, V., Tsoulos, L., 2006. The potential of XML encoding in geomatics converting raster images to XML and SVG. Computers & Geosciences, 32 (2), pp.184-194.
- Antoniou, V., Morley, J. and Haklay, M.M., 2009. Tiled Vectors: A Method for Vector Transmission over the Web. In J. D. Carswell, A. S. Fotheringham, & G. McArdle Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 56-71.
- Antoniou, V., Haklay, M. and Morley, J., 2010. Web 2.0 Geotagged Photos: Assessing the Spatial Dimension of the Phenomenon. Geomatica (Special issue on VGI), 64(1), pp. 99-110.
- Haklay, M., Basiouka, S., Antoniou, V. and Ather, A., 2010. How Many Volunteers Does It Take To Map An Area Well? The validity of Linus‟ law to Volunteered Geographic Information. The Cartographic Journal, 47(4), pp. 315-322.
- Antoniou, V., 2011. User Generated Spatial Content: An Analysis of the Phenomenon and Its Challenges for Mapping Agencies. University College London (UCL): London, UK
Peer-Reviewed Conference Publications:
- Antoniou B. , Tsoulos L., 2004. Converting raster images to XML and SVG. 3rd Annual Conference on Scalable Vector Graphics, Tokyo, Japan.
- Spanaki M., Antoniou B., Tsoulos L. 2004. Web Mapping and XML Technologies “A Close Relationship”. 7th AGILE International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Greece.
- Antoniou, V., Morley, J. and Haklay 2008, Is your Web map fit for purpose? Drawing a line under raster mapping. AGI GeoCommunity ‘08, Stratford-upon-Avon, UK, 24-25 September 2008.
- Antoniou, V., Morley, J., 2008. Web Mapping and WebGIS: do we actually need to use SVG? SVG Open 2008.
- Antoniou, V., Haklay, M. and Morley, J., 2009. The role of user generated spatial content in mapping agencies. Proceedings of the GIS Research UK 19th Annual Conference. Durham, pp.251-255.
- Antoniou, V., Haklay, M. and Morley, J., 2010. A step towards the improvement of spatial data quality of Web 2.0 geo- applications: the case of OpenStreetMap. Proceedings of the GIS Research UK 18th Annual Conference. London, pp.197-202.