Grace Iara Souza
Grace is originally from São Paulo, Brazil, but has been sharing a passion between London and the Amazon for quite some time. Having her first training in International Relations (BA, 2006), she undertook a M.A. in Environment, Politics and Globalisation at King’s College London, obtaining a distinction in 2011. Grace’s association with UCL/ ExCitieS started while doing an internship at Mapping for Change as part of her M.A.
Grace is currently a PhD candidate at King’s Brazil Institute (KCL). Her research, sponsored by CAPES Foundation, aims to fill the gap in the existing literature by examining local inhabitant’s perceptions on the geopolitical debate of ‘global natural resource’ versus ‘national sovereignty’, giving equal weight to the three scales of dimension - international, national and local.
Global Human and Environmental Security; Global Natural Resource; Brazilian Amazon; Political Ecology; Local Perceptions.
Research Portal: click here
Conferences & Invited Lectures
- With Barbara Grasso. Brazil: A Land of Contrasts. Brazilian Portuguese Culture: Facts and Figures. Capital L Summer School 2013 at the Modern Language Centre - Brazilian Portuguese day. King’s College London. London, 8th July 2013. Lecture.
- Reflecting on my fieldwork in the Brazilian Amazon. Encounters with Power. Doctoral Fieldwork in Developing and Transitional Countries: Voices of Experience. Theme Event: Development, Health and Human Security (DHHS), King’s College London. London, 7th June 2013. Oral presentation.
- Local perceptions from a global natural resource: The Brazilian Amazon case. Society for Latin American Studies (SLAS) Annual Conference 2013. (Re)constructing the environment in the 'post-neoliberal' state (Panel 16). University of Manchester. Manchester, 12th April 2013. Oral presentation.
- “Whose human security are you talking about?” Local voices from a global common: Perceptions of the Brazilian Amazon. Americas Research Group Postgraduate Conference. Difference and Equality in the Americas: Contemporary and Historical Processes of Inclusion/Exclusion. Newcastle University. Newcastle, 12th March 2013. Oral presentation.
- Sendo um “Local” em um “Recurso Natural Global”: Percepções da Amazônia Brasileira 5º Congresso da Associação Brasileira de Estudantes e Pesquisadores do Reino Unido (ABEP-UK) Internacionalização da Ciência, Tecnologia e Conhecimento no Brasil Contemporâneo: Avanços e Desafios. Centre of Latin American Studies, University of Cambridge. Cambridge, 10th November 2012. Oral presentation.
- Sendo ‘local’ num ‘patrimônio natural da humanidade’: Percepções da Amazônia Brasileira. VI Encontro Nacional da Associação Nacional de Pós-Graduação e Pesquisa em Ambiente e Sociedade (ANPPAS). Relações Internacionais e o Meio Ambiente (GT15). Belém, 21st September 2012. Oral presentation.
- The price of being local in a global natural resource. Local perceptions and global challenges. 4th International Congress of Brazilian Researchers in the UK (ABEP-UK)/ 1st European Conference for Brazilian Postgraduate Students and Researchers. King’s College London, London, 14-15 October 2011. Poster presentation.