Translation Studies MPhil / PhD

Our research activity focuses on specialisms such as translation theory, theatre translation, audiovisual translation, translation technology, translation training and intercultural mediation.

Research students undertake original research leading to the submission of a thesis. They work under the supervision of a Principal and a Secondary Supervisor. They do not normally attend taught courses but follow a tailor-made programme of skills training and personal development courses. To be admitted as a research student you need a Master's degree with a good grade in a relevant subject. All research students at UCL initially register as MPhil students and, provided they have made satisfactory progress, can upgrade to PhD status after a year (or two years for part-time students). Full-time PhD study normally takes a minimum of three years, part-time study a minimum of five years. 

For more informantion about Research Culture and Environment please follow this link here.

Prospective PhD Applicants

CenTraS invites applications from suitably qualified students wishing to undertake research on any aspect of translation.

If you wish to apply for admission to UCL as a research student in translation studies, you should, in the first instance, and before you complete the UCL online application form please contact our Graduate Tutor, Dr Jane Gilbert, with (a) details of your educational background, (b) an outline research project proposal and the names of potential supervisors, and (c) an indication of how you propose to fund your study. 

Information on the application process, general entry requirements, tuition fees, accommodation and the UCL Doctoral School can be found on the Doctoral School website. 

Unlike taught programmes, which start in September, a research degree can be started at any time of the year.

  • Click here for more information about the programme and to apply

Research Facilities

UCL research students have access to a wealth of library and other resources. UCL's own libraries cover all subjects and almost all European languages. Beyond UCL, and within easy walking distance, there are the libraries of the University of London, the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and the British Library.

CenTraS research students can make use of a dedicated cluster room (the TransCluster) housing 60 computers with specialist software. They share a common room with other research students. 

Being a research student

As a research student you work, under supervision, on your own project. You follow a personal programme of skills training, which is documented in an online logbook. You engage with your peers in regular research seminars and other events, and you attend public lectures. Research students in their second year and beyond may do a certain amount of teaching on the MA in Translation and the MSc in Specialised Translation.

CenTraS currently has around 30 PhD students and several Visiting Research Students.