Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
On Thursday night, for the third time since January 2015, President François Hollande was faced with a mass murder on French soil. An ashen-faced Hollande, almost looking like a broken man, appeared on television on Friday at 4am and declared: “This is undoubtedly a terrorist attack; the whole of France is under the threat of an Islamic terrorist attack”.
18 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 18, 2016 12:00:00 AM
In addition to marking a politically decisive moment in British history, the campaigns in advance of the referendum on the UK’s membership in the EU were exciting objects of study for Classicists in terms of the political use of oratory.
11 July 2016 More...
Starts: Jul 11, 2016 12:00:00 AM
The left has good reasons to be critical of the EU in its current form.
But its problem was not that Labour and the unions didn’t address the question of immigration. Rather, they went into this battle with no vision, no plan and no ideas.
6 July 2016
Philippe Marlière More...
Starts: Jul 6, 2016 12:00:00 AM
Junior Research Forum
Each year, we support a number of advanced research students – MA students, PhD candidates and postdoctoral fellows – to work together to explore common research interests related to Europe broadly conceived.
Call for 2015-2016
A new call for proposals for the academic year 2015-16 is out now.
We invite proposals from groups of at least two students, who aim to develop new research output, or seek to raise the profile and impact of their research. Proposed projects may be formulated in response to current affairs or address long-standing research questions. Collaboration between students based in different UCL departments is particularly encouraged. Funding of up to £1000 plus some administrative assistance is available per project.
Current Projects (2014-15)
Typical projects eligible for funding include:
- organising a research conference, a seminar series, workshop(s), or a public panel discussion
- convening a reading or discussion group
- costs associated with working groups leading to written research output (publication, working paper, report)
- costs associated with research activity (e.g. travel, interviews) leading to an event, feeding into a reading/discussion group or resulting in a co-authored publication
- public engagement activities and collaborations with external non-academic institutions
Highlights of past projects funded under the Junior Research Forum:
- Political Discourse: Multidisciplinary Approaches (2014-15)
- Facing the Ground (2015-2016)
- Anti-LGBT Hate Crimes in Europe: An Organisational Approach (2015-2016)
- Media Translation and Accessibility in the EU (2015-2016)
- Old Rules & New Traditions: Generational Divides in Central & Eastern Europe (2013-2014)
- Modern Codes of Practice and New Design Challenges (2013-2014)
- Barriers to EU-US Agricultural Trade: Feasible Compromises & Trade Frameworks in TAFTA (2013-2014)
- Sherlock Holmes: Past and Present (2013-2014)