Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
It is not clear that the EU is any less accountable than national governments.
29 June 2016
Ronan McCrea More...
Starts: Jun 30, 2016 12:00:00 AM
So the British people have voted with a margin of around 4%, a little
more than 1 million votes, to leave the European Union (EU). Where this
will lead lies somewhere between two absolutely contrasting scenarios.
29 June 2016
Paul Ekins More...
Starts: Jun 29, 2016 12:00:00 AM
A first round of reactions from UCL staff to the EU referendum results.
24 June 2016 More...
Starts: Jun 27, 2016 12:00:00 AM
The Springs of Populism in Europe
One year before the European Parliament elections and European democracies are in turmoil. Amid this instability, populist parties are performing well – from emerging neo-fascists like Golden Dawn in Greece to more established populist forces such as France’s Front National.
In this panel discussion, the speakers explored how these populist movements constitute a lens for understanding the current political challenges facing Europe’s leaders. They will look at the specific social and cultural factors that have led to the success of populism – with a particular focus on France and Greece in perspective to the UK – and will discuss what deeper institutional problems the movements point to.
- Michel Wieviorka: Director of the Fondation de la Maison des Sciences de l’ Homme and Director of CADIS/EHESS from 1993 to 2009. He is the author of the Counterpoint pamphlet Le Front National (FN), entre extrémisme, populisme et démocratie
- Othon Anastasakis: Director of South East European Studies at Oxford and Director of the European Studies Centre
- Peter Kellner: journalist, political commentator and President of YouGov
- Philippe Marlière: Professor of French and European politics, University College London
- Catherine Fieschi: Director of Counterpoint
With the support of the Lifelong Learning Programme of the European Union.
Page last modified on 12 nov 13 14:48