Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
In Poland over the past ten years, there has been a creeping recognition of the need to combat hate crime. While intolerance remains an issue in this Central European country, developments in in the official response to targeted violence are evident. Nevertheless, it is unclear what motivated the authorities to address this issue. Piotr Godzisz, PhD candidate at UCL SSEES, explores what explains Poland’s leadership in this regard.
14 January 2016
Piotr Godzisz More...
Starts: Jan 14, 2016 12:00:00 AM
In the website The Cine-Tourist, Roland-François Lack, Senior
Lecturer in UCL’s Department of French, has created a repository for his
research around cinema and place. Here he illustrates some connections between
maps and films.
1 February 2016
Roland-François Lack More...
Starts: Feb 4, 2016 12:00:00 AM
Kristin Bakke, Senior Lecturer in Political Science looks at how air strikes may affect ISIS, given how ISIS rules and how it mobilises support and recruits fighters. Although air strikes might contribute to containing the group and its ability to rule, it is likely to fuel the narrative that fosters mobilisation. To the degree that there is a case for a military response against ISIS, it is, by itself, insufficient. More...
Starts: Dec 16, 2015 12:00:00 AM
THBT: Britain should leave the European Union
25 February 2013
See below for recording the debate debate on Britain’s membership of the EU which has become one of the biggest national issues of our time, with passionate advocates campaigning for very different visions of Britain’s future in a globalising world.
- Mark Reckless MP: Conservative MP for Rochester and Strood.
- Alexandra Swann: Telegraph blogger and UKIP activist.
- Lawrence Webb: Leading member of UKIP, former London Chairman and Mayoral candidate.
- Katinka Barysch: Deputy Director of the Centre for European Reform in London
- Sir Stephen Wall: Former UK Diplomat and Chair of the UCL Council.
- Peter Wilding: Founder and Director of British Influence, a new independent advocacy campaign that wants Britain to lead in Europe.
With the support of the Lifelong Learning Programme of the European Union.
Page last modified on 12 nov 13 14:05