Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
- Current Projects
- Media Gallery
- Find an Expert on Europe
Kira Gartzou, research assistant in European Studies, analyses the differences in views expressed by Syriza towards Europe, and in particular Germany, during its winning electoral campaign, and the views now portrayed in Syriza’s party newspaper since coming to power in January 2015. What implications may this have for the future of Greek negotiations with creditor institutions, and what is actually the mandate of the Greek government?
Dr. Kira Gartzou
25 June 2015 More...
Starts: Jun 25, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Young people in the UK today who are attracted to extremism are typically well educated. Given the weaknesses of this ideology in terms of its use of history, internal coherence of arguments and moral standards, its success with many educated young people requires explanation. The explanation, according to Dr. Farid, is multifaceted but education has a big role to play in curbing the trend.
2 June 2015
Dr. Farid Panjwani More...
Starts: Jun 2, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Christopher Bickerton, lecturer in Politics at the University of Cambridge, discusses how how the impending EU referendum in the UK necessitates open and unbiased academic debate, and how British discussions of EU reform may reverberate across the European continent.
15 May 2015
Dr. Christopher Bickerton More...
Starts: May 15, 2015 12:00:00 AM
The Single Market
|This section provides background material and references on the legal and policy implications of the Single Market, specifically on liberalisation, harmonisation, mutual recognition and the balance of competences between the EU and the member states.|
1. POLICY BRIEFING
This policy briefing discusses key issues in the governance of the single market and the relevance of the Balance of Competences Review on the single market, released by the UK government in July 2013. It highlights:
2. BIBLIOGRAPHY AND ONLINE RESOURCES
I. The Single Market in 2013
- European Commission, ‘The Single Market Scoreboard’, July 2013
- European Commission, ‘State of Single Market Integration 2013’ COM(2012)752
- S R Weatherill, 'The limits of legislative harmonisation ten years after Tobacco Advertising: how the Court’s case law has become a “drafting guide”' (2011) 12 German Law Journal 827
- I Lianos, ‘Shifting Narratives in the European Internal Market: Efficient Restrictions of Trade and the Nature of “Economic” Integration’ (2010) European Business Law Review 705
Re-launching the single market
- European Commission, ‘Delivering the Single Market Act: State of Play’, Commission Staff Working Document, SWD(2012) 21.
- European Commission, ‘Towards a Single Market Act’, COM(2011) 206
- House of Lords Select Committee, ‘Relaunching the Single Market’, April 2011
- M Monti, ‘Report to the President of the European Commission. A New Strategy For the Single Market at the Service of Europe’s Economy and Society’, 9 May 2010
- S R Weatherill, 'Why Harmonise?' in T Tridimas and P Nebbia (eds), European Union Law for the Twenty-First Century: Rethinking the New Legal Order, Volume 2 (Hart Publishing 2004)
II. EU/UK Balance of Competences
- HM Government, ‘Review of the Balance of Competences between the United Kingdom and the European Union: the Single Market’, July 2013
- Regent’s University London, ‘The Regent's Report 2013. The UK and Europe: Costs, Benefits, Options’ (2013)
- S Gaskell and M Persson, ‘Still out of Control? Measuring Eleven Years of EU Regulation’, Open Europe Report, June 2010
- HM Treasury, ‘EU membership and Trade’ (2005)
- P Minford, V Mahambare and E Nowell, Should Britain leave the EU? An economic analysis of a troubled relationship (Edward Elgar 2005)
III. EU Integration and EU Governance
- K A Armstrong, ‘The Lisbon Agenda and Europe 2020: from the Governance of Coordination to the Coordination of Governance’ in P Copeland and D Papadimitriou (eds), The EU's Lisbon Strategy: Evaluating Success, Understanding Failure (Palgrave Macmillan 2012), 208
- I Lianos and O Odudu (eds), Regulating Trade in Services in the EU and the WTO: Trust, Distrust and Economic Integration (Cambridge University Press 2012)
- K A Armstrong, ‘The Character of EU Law and Governance: From 'Community method' to New Modes of Governance’ (2011) 64 Current Legal Problems 179
- K Nicolaidis and R Howse, The Federal Vision: Legitimacy and Levels of Governance in the United States and the European Union (OUP 2001)
- K A Armstrong and S J Bulmer, The Governance of the Single European Market (Palgrave MacMillan 1998)
- European Commission, ‘Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: Better Governance for the Single Market’, COM(2012) 259
- Policy Network, ‘The future of economic governance in the EU: And where does this leave Britain?’, 6 March 2012
- K Nicolaidis, “EU 2.0: Towards Sustainable integration”, 12 July 2010