Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union. We are part of the Institute of Advanced Studies.
UCL European Institute
- Media Gallery
- UCL Brexit Hub
Theresa May's long-awaited Brexit speech must be understood as an aspiration, rather than a roadmap, since its realisation requires the consent of other parties and the removal of important contradictions, argues Benjamin Martill.
17 January 2017
Starts: Jan 17, 2017 12:00:00 AM
Uta Staiger, Executive Director of the
European Institute, comments on the German political and media responses after the Christmas market attacks, in a piece originally published by the New Statesman.
20 December 2016 More...
Starts: Dec 20, 2016 12:00:00 AM
Oliver Patel, Research Assistant at the European Institute, offers three reasons why the Brexit vote is worrying for London's tech community.
Oliver Patel (UCL European Institute)
19 December 2016
Starts: Dec 19, 2016 12:00:00 AM
The Single Market
|This section provides background material and references on the legal and policy implications of the Single Market, specifically on liberalisation, harmonisation, mutual recognition and the balance of competences between the EU and the member states.|
1. POLICY BRIEFING
This policy briefing discusses key issues in the governance of the single market and the relevance of the Balance of Competences Review on the single market, released by the UK government in July 2013. It highlights:
2. BIBLIOGRAPHY AND ONLINE RESOURCES
I. The Single Market in 2013
- European Commission, ‘The Single Market Scoreboard’, July 2013
- European Commission, ‘State of Single Market Integration 2013’ COM(2012)752
- S R Weatherill, 'The limits of legislative harmonisation ten years after Tobacco Advertising: how the Court’s case law has become a “drafting guide”' (2011) 12 German Law Journal 827
- I Lianos, ‘Shifting Narratives in the European Internal Market: Efficient Restrictions of Trade and the Nature of “Economic” Integration’ (2010) European Business Law Review 705
Re-launching the single market
- European Commission, ‘Delivering the Single Market Act: State of Play’, Commission Staff Working Document, SWD(2012) 21.
- European Commission, ‘Towards a Single Market Act’, COM(2011) 206
- House of Lords Select Committee, ‘Relaunching the Single Market’, April 2011
- M Monti, ‘Report to the President of the European Commission. A New Strategy For the Single Market at the Service of Europe’s Economy and Society’, 9 May 2010
- S R Weatherill, 'Why Harmonise?' in T Tridimas and P Nebbia (eds), European Union Law for the Twenty-First Century: Rethinking the New Legal Order, Volume 2 (Hart Publishing 2004)
II. EU/UK Balance of Competences
- HM Government, ‘Review of the Balance of Competences between the United Kingdom and the European Union: the Single Market’, July 2013
- Regent’s University London, ‘The Regent's Report 2013. The UK and Europe: Costs, Benefits, Options’ (2013)
- S Gaskell and M Persson, ‘Still out of Control? Measuring Eleven Years of EU Regulation’, Open Europe Report, June 2010
- HM Treasury, ‘EU membership and Trade’ (2005)
- P Minford, V Mahambare and E Nowell, Should Britain leave the EU? An economic analysis of a troubled relationship (Edward Elgar 2005)
III. EU Integration and EU Governance
- K A Armstrong, ‘The Lisbon Agenda and Europe 2020: from the Governance of Coordination to the Coordination of Governance’ in P Copeland and D Papadimitriou (eds), The EU's Lisbon Strategy: Evaluating Success, Understanding Failure (Palgrave Macmillan 2012), 208
- I Lianos and O Odudu (eds), Regulating Trade in Services in the EU and the WTO: Trust, Distrust and Economic Integration (Cambridge University Press 2012)
- K A Armstrong, ‘The Character of EU Law and Governance: From 'Community method' to New Modes of Governance’ (2011) 64 Current Legal Problems 179
- K Nicolaidis and R Howse, The Federal Vision: Legitimacy and Levels of Governance in the United States and the European Union (OUP 2001)
- K A Armstrong and S J Bulmer, The Governance of the Single European Market (Palgrave MacMillan 1998)
- European Commission, ‘Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: Better Governance for the Single Market’, COM(2012) 259
- Policy Network, ‘The future of economic governance in the EU: And where does this leave Britain?’, 6 March 2012
- K Nicolaidis, “EU 2.0: Towards Sustainable integration”, 12 July 2010