Welcome to the UCL European Institute, UCL's hub for research, collaboration and information on Europe and the European Union.
UCL European Institute
- Current Projects
- Media Gallery
- Find an Expert on Europe
Professor Laborde warns against the reactivist response to
the Paris murders: they misunderstand the role played by free speech and by laïcité. Further, they allow criminals to
set the term of the debate on how to better facilitate Muslim integration if
Professor Cécile Laborde
26 February 2015 More...
Starts: Feb 26, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Eeckhout revisits the question of EU reform, including different options for
and legal as well as political constraints of such reform.
Professor Piet Eeckhout
20 January 2015 More...
Starts: Jan 20, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Prof. Dame Julia Goodfellow examines the role of EU research collaboration and funding in sustaining and fostering research excellence in the UK.
Professor Dame Julia Goodfellow
9 February 2015 More...
Starts: Feb 7, 2015 12:00:00 AM
|This section provides background material and references on the implications of the UK's European Union Act 2011, and specifically its referendum 'lock' provisions.|
1. POLICY BRIEF
The brief discusses the changes brought about by the EU Act 2011, in relation to Britain’s position in and attitude towards, the European Union. It considers the referendum provisions of the EUA; referenda and UK constitutional law; and the role of referenda in democratic deliberation.
2. BIBLIOGRAPHY AND ONLINE RESOURCES
European Union Act 2011
See in particular the following provisions:
- Section 2: Treaties amending or replacing TEU or TFEU
- Section 3: Amendment of TFEU under simplified revision procedure
- Section 4: Cases where treaty or Article 48(6) decision attracts a referendum
- Section 6: Decisions requiring approval by Act and by referendum
- Section 18: Status of EU law dependent on continuing statutory basis
II. Explanatory Documents
- European Union Act 2011, Government Explanatory Notes
- House of Commons European Scrutiny Committee, The EU Bill: Restrictions on Treaties and Decisions relating to the EU: Government Response to the Committee's Fifteenth Report of Session 2010–11 (2 March 2011) HC 852.
- House of Commons European Scrutiny Committee, The EU Bill: Restrictions on Treaties and Decisions relating to the EU (January 24, 2011) HC 682.
- House of Lords Constitution Committee, Referendums in the United Kingdom (12th Report of 2009-10) HL 99.
- The Coalition: ‘Our Programme for Government’ (2010) 19.
III. Case Law
- R. v Secretary of State for Transport Ex p. Factortame (No.2)  3 W.L.R. 818.
- HL and R. v Secretary of State for Employment Ex p. Equal Opportunities Commission  1 A.C. 1 HL
- Thoburn v Sunderland City Council  EWHC 195 (Admin);  Q.B. 151.
- R. (on the application of Jackson) v Attorney General  UKHL 56;  1 A.C. 262.
European Union Act 2011
- S Peers, ‘European Integration and the European Union Act 2011: An Irresistible Force Meets an Immovable Object?’ (2013) Public Law 119.
- MJ Gordon and M Dougan. ‘The United Kingdom’s European Union Act 2011: “Who Won the Bloody War Anyway?” (2012) 37:1 European Law Review 3.
- P P Craig, 'The European Union Act 2011: Locks, Limits and Legality' (2011) 48 Common Market Law Review 1881.
- S Peers, ‘The UK’s European Union Bill’ (November 2010), available at Statewatch.org, Annexes I and II.
Referenda and UK Law
- S Tierney Constitutional Referendums: The Theory and Practice of Republican Deliberation (Oxford University Press, 2012)
- S Tierney 'Constitutional Referendums: A Theoretical Enquiry' (2009) Modern Law Review 72(3) 360.
- P Norton, “The United Kingdom: Political Conflict, Parliamentary Scrutiny” in P. Norton (ed.), National Parliaments and the European Union (London: Frank Cass, 1996).
Referenda and the EU
- FA Cheneval, ‘“Caminante, no Hay Camino, se Hace Camino al Andar”: EU Citizenship, Direct Democracy and Treaty Ratification’ (2007) 13 European Law Journal 647.
- M Shu, ‘Referendums and the Political Constitutionalisation of the EU’ (2008) 14 European Law Journal 423.
- G Barrett, ‘Building a Swiss Chalet in an Irish Legal Landscape? Referendums on European Union Treaties in Ireland and the Impact of Supreme Court Jurisprudence’ (2009) 5 European Constitutional Law Review 32.