UCL Publications and Media on Satellite Monitoring
5 November 2012
Here is a list of outputs from the Satellites and the Law research programme
- Ray Purdy and Denise Leung (eds.), Evidence from Earth Observation Satellites: Emerging Legal Issues, Martinus Nijhoff (Brill), Leiden, December 2012, 498p.
- Spying on Europe’s farmers with satellites and drones, BBC News 8 February 2012 (Ray Purdy interviewed) Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16545333
- Ray Purdy, ‘Attitudes of UK and Australian farmers towards monitoring activity with satellite technologies: Lessons to be learnt’, Space Policy 27, 2011, 202-212.
- Ray Purdy, ‘The Impact of Satellite Technologies in the International Legal Sector: The Story So Far and Implications For the Future’, Derecho Espacial, Vol. XVII, 2011, Plus Ultra Press, Argentina).
- Ray Purdy, Satellite Monitoring of Environmental Laws. Lessons to be learnt from Australia, UCL Centre for Law and the Environment ISBN: 978-0-9560806-1-5, 2010. 225p.
- Ray Purdy, Emerging Legal Issues with Satellite Earth Observation, in Current Legal Issues for Satellite Earth Observation, eds. M. Sanchez Arazamendi, R. Sandau, K. Schrogl, ESPI, Report 25, August 2010, pp9-25
- Ray Purdy, ‘Using Earth Observation Technologies for Better Regulatory Compliance and Enforcement of Environmental Laws’, Journal of Environmental Law, 22:1 (2010) pp59-87.
- Ray Purdy was interviewed on the ABC National Radio (Australia) Bush Telegraph show on Monday 23rd November 2009.
- Ray Purdy was interviewed on ABC Queensland Radio on the 2nd November 2009.
- Ray Purdy was interviewed on the ABC South Australia Radio programme ‘Country Hour’ on the 27th October 2009 in the State of South Australia, and again on the 2nd November in the State of Queensland. A recording of this interview can be downloaded here.
- ‘Big brother checks up on farmers,’ Sydney Morning Herald, 4th May 2010 (Ray was interviewed) http://www.smh.com.au/environment/big-brother-checks-up-on-farmers-20100...
- Ray Purdy interview on BBC (UK) Radio 4’s Farming Today, 21 October 2008
- Ray Purdy, Satellites: A New Era for Environmental Compliance, Journal for European Environmental and Planning Law, Volume 3 Number 5, 2006, pp406-413.
- Ray Purdy, ‘Remote Sensing and Other Emerging Information Sources’, in United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Manual on Compliance with and Enforcement of Multilateral Environmental Agreements, 2006, pp381-382.
- Ray Purdy, ‘Satellites as a Legal Compliance Tool’, Bulletin of the European Centre for Space Law, published by the Auspices of the European Space Agency, ECSL No 34, November 2006, pp2-3.
- Ray Purdy, R (2006) The heat is on, New Law Journal Volume 156, Issue 7225, p834-837
- Ray Purdy, R (2006) Satellites: The next major tool in law enforcement? UCL Laws Newsletter, Autumn 2006, 20-21.
- Ray Purdy and Richard Macrory (2003), Satellite Photographs: 21st Century Evidence? New Law Journal, March 7, pp337-338.
- Ray Purdy et al, ‘Applications of Earth Observation to the Legal Sector’, BNSC publications (2001) * Ray was a contributor to this report
- Ray Purdy and Macrory, The Use of Satellite Images as Evidence in Environmental Actions in Great Britain, Droit et Ville, n° 51, June 2001, pp72-88.
- Ray Purdy et al, APERTURE Project Final Report: Environmental Typological Space Mapper Facilitating the Implementation of European Legislation, European Commission (2000) * Ray was a contributor to this report
- Ray Purdy, R (1999), Legal and Privacy Issues of Spy in the Sky Satellites, Mountbatten Journal of Legal Studies, vol 3(1), pp63-79.