Find out about the EPSRC 'discovery-to-use' pre-commercialisation projects funding for engineering and the physical sciences, and how to apply for it.
Call for proposals
Note: One third of the total funding required should come from third parties - see the Guidance for Applicants EPSRC IAA 2017-20 D2U (PDF) for details, exceptions and costing instructions.
The EPSRC part of the project funding should come to between £10,000 to £100,000.
- Proposal criteria
- Project duration
- Allowable costs
- How to apply / forms
- Key dates and deadlines (2017/18 funding)
- Conditions of funding
- Assessment of proposals
Your proposal should meet the following criteria:
- Projects should have a clear knowledge exchange focus
- Project partners must have a UK-based research presence
- Project must be for work with clear links to the EPSRC portfolio (you'll need to provide relevant research grant numbers)
- Projects should demonstrate measurable impact to all partners and should attract a contribution from the external partner towards the project costs
- Project partners should provide written agreement of contribution at application and commit to sign a UCL Research Services approved contract if the project is awarded
- The EPSRC part of the project funding should come to £10,000 to £100,000 for 3 to 12 months' duration
- Applicants should seek support and approval from their Head of Department before applying
Projects will last from between three to 12 months.
All direct costs, including principal investigator (PI) time and other directly allocated costs, can be covered. Estates and indirect costs aren't covered.
- Read the information about the funding call on this page, as well as the Guidance for Applicants EPSRC IAA 2017-20 D2U (PDF).
- Fill in the UCL EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account D2U application form (DOCX).
- Check you've included all necessary documentation.
- Send your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
What you must include
To be accepted, your submission must include:
- the completed application form
- written confirmation of support from the partner (email or scanned letter)
- (for applications above £10,000 ) Worktribe costing report - see Guidance for Applicants EPSRC IAA 2017-20 D2U (PDF) and complete the Costing Calculator tool (XLSX)
- an email from the Head of Department and departmental administrator confirming support of the project and approval of the proposed costings
The last application deadline for 2017 has now passed. New calls for 2018 submissions will be announced before Christmas.
If your application is successful, you'll be required take part in the monitoring and reporting processes associated with the scheme. Where appropriate, you must also engage with UCLB and the Research Contracts Office to ensure UCL’s intellectual property (IP) is protected and its value maximised.
All direct costs, including principal investigator (PI) time and other directly allocated costs can be covered. Estates and indirect costs aren't covered.
Funds will be dispensed using the usual UCL financial regulations and systems. Any unspent funds at the end of the project will be reclaimed. Overspends and any expenditure outside the remit of the scheme will be the responsibility of the department.
Awards may be reviewed in confidence by academic and professional services’ members of the UCL community. The decision to award, suggest resubmission, or to decline, rests with the UCL Innovation and Enterprise Funding Committee. Following this, applicants will be notified about any next steps.
For further information and guidance please contact Mariana Trejo, Knowledge Exchange Manager, email@example.com