You can bring external expertise into UCL and increase the impact of your research with funding from the EPSRC.
Who it’s for
You’ll have an expert on board who can make a demonstrable difference to your project or department. They could be working for an employer or for themselves.
What projects could qualify
Your project must be linked to the EPSRC portfolio, which you can view on the EPSRC website.
Your proposal will need to:
- show how both partners will share their expertise through knowledge exchange
- make a measurable difference to both, for example by creating new jobs, spreading scientific knowledge, generating a business startup or developing long-term research partnerships
The types of activities you can get funding for include:
- accelerating innovation and the translation of research
- building communities of practice
- improving the way you approach potential industry partners
- guiding EPSRC-funded PhD students and researchers who are thinking about working in industry
What funding is available
You can apply for up to £30,000. Your expert or their employer will need to match the EPSRC funding.
When to apply and timings
Applications are currently closed while we update our systems.
Applications for amounts up to £15,000 will be considered over the summer from mid-June. You’ll be able to apply for larger amounts from September.
Dates will be published here shortly.
For proposals over £15,000
- Apply during a funding call.
- Your proposal will initially be assessed by the Knowledge Exchange team to make sure it matches the funding criteria.
- If it does, the Innovation & Enterprise Funding Committee and at least three members of UCL staff will then review it.
- They’ll make pass their recommendation to the Vice- Provost (Enterprise) on whether to award, decline or suggest you submit again. She’ll make the final decision.
You’ll hear back from us around six weeks after the funding call closes.
For proposals up to £15,000
You can apply at any time. It’ll take us at least two weeks to get back to you and another two weeks before your project can start.
If your application coincides with a funding call, it’ll be considered at the same time as those above £15,000.
How to apply
- Read our guide (pdf) for advice on completing your application and details on the documents we’ll need to see.
- Work out costs in our spreadsheet (Excel) and in Worktribe.
- Get letters of support from partner organisations, if needed. You can use our template (Word) if it helps.
- Complete the application form (Word).
- Email your application and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’d like to discuss your project or the application process, contact us at email@example.com
Innovation & Enterprise receives funding from:
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Impact Acceleration Account (IAA)