You can bring external expertise into UCL and increase the impact of your research with funding from the EPSRC IAA 2017-20.
Who it’s for
You’ll have an expert on board who can make a demonstrable difference to your project or department.
What projects could qualify
Your project must increase the impact of EPSRC research and focus on building engagement with business on a strategic level. This can either be through actively facilitating partnerships or building the skillset needed to enable this.
Your proposal will need to:
- show how it maximises the impact of EPSRC-funded research
- outline the relevant skills and experience of the proposed expert
- show how both partners will share their expertise
- make a measurable difference to both, for example by generating a business startup or developing long-term research partnerships
The types of activities you can get funding for include:
- accelerating innovation and the translation of research
- building communities of practice
- improving the way you approach and work with potential industry partners
What funding is available
You can apply for up to £30,000 for projects ending by 31 March 2020. Your proposed expert (if self-employed) or their employer will need to match the EPSRC IAA 2017-20 funding.
When to apply and timings
You’ll be able to apply during the following call dates:
- 4 to 18 October 2019 (earliest start 9 December)
- 8 to 22 November 2019 (earliest start 22 January)
You'll be notified of the outcome around six weeks after the call closes.
How to apply
- Read our guide (pdf) for advice on completing your application and details of the documents we’ll need to see.
- Read our guide to using the new web application form (pdf), and what information you'll need to have to hand before starting.
- Prepare the costing spreadsheet (Excel).
- Fill in the web application form on our online portal. (You'll need your UCL login.)
After you’ve started to fill in the web application form, you can save and return to it as many times as you need before submitting.
You can use the application template (Word) to share information with co-investigators or other colleagues but please note that emailed applications will no longer be accepted.
If you’d like to discuss your project or the application process, contact the funding team at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any feedback on the new online application form, please send to email@example.com so we can improve the process.
After you apply
- Your proposal will be assessed by the Knowledge Exchange team to make sure it matches the funding criteria.
- If it does, at least three members of innovation-engaged UCL staff will review it. Your application will be assessed on its suitability for the scheme, feasibility, and potential for impact.
- For applications over £15,000, the Innovation & Enterprise Funding Committee will consider the application and make a recommendation to the Vice-Provost (Enterprise) on whether to award or decline. She’ll make the final decision. For applications up to £15,000, the Knowledge Exchange team will make the final decision.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) 2017-20