Entrepreneurship essentials for PhD students (SPERO Applied)
9:30 am, 27 March 2019 to 5:00 pm, 29 March 2019
This free programme for UCL PhD students will help you explore new ways of using your research to develop a career outside of traditional academic pathways.
- UCL staff | UCL students
UCL Innovation & Enterprise
UCL BaseKX103c Camley StreetLondonN1C 4PF
This three-day workshop will provide a practical introduction to entrepreneurship. You'll learn about business language and entrepreneurial thinking, and be encouraged to develop an entrepreneurial mind-set.
What to expect
During the workshop, you'll:
- learn about key concepts for early stage enterprise creation
- apply conceptual models/frameworks during short activities
- present your thinking and reflect on your work during the activities
The topics covered each day include:
- Day 1 - idea exploration and creation
- Day 2 - prototyping, testing and network-building
- Day 3 - sales, marketing and raising finance
What you'll learn
Topics covered by the course include:
- opportunity evaluation
- the anatomy of creating a business
- prototyping and testing ideas
- profiling and understanding customers
- intellectual property and protecting ideas
- sales, marketing and brand design
- building teams and networks
- raising funding and finance
- what investors look for in an early stage business
- preparing a pitch
Who it's for
This programme is open to UCL PhD students from any discipline who are curious about entrepreneurship and have had little-to-no previous business experience.
You don't need to be an aspiring entrepreneur or already have a business idea.
About the tutor
Warrick Harniess, Managing Director, Scandinavia Stories
Warrick began his career at Pearson Education. Highlights include:
- Building two online learning ventures for Pearson UK, managing start-up budgets of around £2 million
- Pioneering a digital marketing and customer service strategy that created Pearson UK social media accounts with the greatest customer reach, shares and interactions
- Creating a customer support programme that helped Pearson-Edexcel achieve Investors in People Silver status and the Institute of Customer Service’s ServiceMark standard
Read our privacy notice to understand how UCL Innovation & Enterprise will deal with your personal data.
UCL Innovation & Enterprise reserves the right to make changes to the programme, location and/or speakers without prior notice. Such alterations are occasionally necessary due to circumstances beyond our control.
This initiative is sponsored by Santander Bank and delivered by UCL Innovation & Enterprise. Find out more about the SPERO programme.