Learn about IP and how the UCL IP Policy applies to your day-to-day activities with this online training course.
This training is designed to help you understand how IP is owned, managed and used at UCL, and how this applies to your role.
It supports UCL’s IP Policy, which you should refer to for more information.
The training covers:
- what IP is and why it matters
- different types of IP you may encounter
- key principles of IP ownership
- how IP affects your activities at UCL
- how to apply UCL’s IP policy
- where to get further support
Who it’s for
This training is recommended for all UCL staff and students.
This includes all UCL employees, officers, consultants, contractors, individuals seconded to UCL or working under an honorary contract or other visiting appointment at UCL, interns, volunteers, casual workers, and agency workers.
The training should take approximately 20 to 40 minutes to complete (depending on how many units you need to do, based on your role).
You don’t need to complete the training in one go as you can save your progress and return to it later.
If you’re unable to use the interactive version of the training, accessible Word and audio versions are available.
Access the course
The training course is on UCL’s MyLearning platform, which ensures your completion is recorded in the HR system.
If accessing remotely, you'll need to use either the UCL VPN or Desktop@UCL Anywhere. Details of how to access Desktop@UCL are on the UCL ISD website.
(Use the step-by-step guide below if you'd like help accessing the training.)
Step-by-step guide to accessing the course
You'll need to follow these steps to enrol on the training:
- Click on the 'Access the course’ button above to be taken to the course description on MyLearning
- Click ‘Enrol’ at the bottom of the page (it’s very small)
- Sign into MyLearning using your UCL credentials (user ID: ucyxxxxx and password)
- Click ‘here’ (towards the bottom of the page, under ‘Class link below’ heading)
- Sign into Oracle with your UCL credentials
- If given the option to ‘choose a responsibility’ select ‘UCL My Learning’ (you may not have this option)
- Click ‘Enrol’ in top right corner of the screen
- Click ‘Review’ in top right corner (you can leave all fields on this page blank)
- Click ‘Submit’ in top right corner
- Click on the title of the course (e.g. ‘Disclosing and Managing Conflicts of Interest’) under ‘Enrolments’ heading
- Click ‘Play’ in top right corner
- Sign into LearnUpon using your UCL credentials
- Click ‘Start’ in the left-hand ‘Details’ box
- Click ‘Start’ (with arrow) in top right corner of the screen
- Click ‘Start’ in centre of page