Research fellowships aim to help early-career researchers strengthen their experience of research and teaching in a university environment with a view to helping them obtain permanent lecturing posts.
British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme 2023-24
The English Department is inviting applications from outstanding scholars for the British Academy's Postdoctoral Fellowships. The Academy's webpage British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships provides full details of the application procedure. During their tenure, British Academy Postdoctoral Fellows are expected to complete a significant piece of publishable research.
- be supported by the host UK university or research institution in which they wish to hold the Fellowship;
- be within three years of the award of a doctorate, i.e. are expected to have completed their viva voce between 1 April 2021 and 1 April 2024. Applicants who expect to have had their viva by 1 April 2024, are eligible for consideration, but will have to withdraw their application if the examination is pushed back beyond that date;
- be a UK or EEA national or have completed a doctorate at a UK university, or be able to demonstrate in some other way that they have a strong association of some kind with the UK academic community;
- not hold a permanent academic post at a higher education institution;
- be aware that they may only apply once in the three years they are eligible.
Applicants should contact a member of academic staff to discuss their proposed project and the possibility of applying through the Department, This member of staff will, if both parties agree, act as the applicant's mentor.
With support from your proposed mentor, please complete a project outline on the British Academy's online application site and, without submitting it, send it as a PDF to Stephen Cadywold, Department Manager by Friday, 25 August 2023 for consideration by the Head of Department and the Chair of the English Research Committee.
Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowships 2023-24
We welcome applications for the Leverhulme Trust's Early Careers Fellowship funding round.
Prospective applicants should read the information in
We recommend applicants then take a look at the list of our academic staff and identify the person who would be the most suitable mentor for your project. Applicants should contact the prospective mentor directly by email with their c.v., and research proposal.
Applicants are requested to submit their application, using the form below, to the Department Manager, Stephen Cadywold, email@example.com, by 5pm on Friday, 27 October 2023:
A departmental panel chaired by the Head of Department will consider applications and forward those shortlisted for review by the Faculty of Arts & Humanities. Applicants will be informed of the Faculty’s decision by Thursday, 14 December 2023 at the latest.